Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  

Getting The Va To Pay For Sc Surgery At Another Doctor/hospital

Recommended Posts

First off, everything has been rated as service connected. I have a continual GI bleed from an ulcerized anastamosis. In other words the VA has resectioned by colon 3 times and has not been successful in stopping the bleeding. Last wekk I find out it's bleedung again. To keep it short is it possible to get someone other than the VA (hopefully someone who's had success at this before) do the surgery and have VA pick up the tab and supply necessary after surgery supplies. They've already taken 1/2 of my colon and I'm afraid they'll want to remove the res and go the bag. I already have a neo bladder and really don't want anymore medical hassles. Any advice would be appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


It may be that you can get help from VA to do this. I would start out with Patient Rep if it was me

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have medicare? I might shop around before the VA kills me.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have medicare and before VA decides to cut me again I will be going for a second and maybe 3rd opinion. I was wondering since the VA docs can't seem to get this right, do I have recourse to go to outside specialist and have VA foot the bill being all these problems have been adjudicated service connected.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have fee base? How far do you live from closest VAMC? If you live a long way away you might get fee base coverage. I know the VA won't pay co-pays if you use medicare. How much is it going to cost you to get it done via medicare? They should pay to have someone else do it, but that means they are incompetent and have to admit it. They brag they have World Class Health Care. Not that I believe that.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines