VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got Fired Again

Rate this question

p3067

Question

hey everyone, im a 28 year old combat Marine deployed to Iraq for the initial invasion. After coming home and getting out of the marines i struggled with thoughts and dream like most others with ptsd. ive been to jail for a year, rehab for a year, done everything i can do to survive. i have been rated 50% for ptsd for about the last 2 years. for the past year things have got worse, i cant keep a job, just got fired yesterday for multiple infractions, including choking out a fellow employee.. i have a claim for increase submitted by the DAV. my c&p exam is in 2 weeks. should i bring in another letter from my recent employer showing i lost another job. in the last two months my nurse practitioner has switched my meds 3 different times, my brain does not seem to be accepting these drugs, but i take them for the hope of getting better. not sure if it matters, but my gaf for the last year have ranged from 40 to 45, im just so low right now. i cant believe i lost another job. i dont no what to do anymore, how am i gonna survive this one. any answers or hope are greatly apprieciated.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You might want to see if you can qualify for SSDI. SSA uses different rules than the VA. It's basically total disability or nothing. If granted, the SSA award records can be used as evidence in a VA claim.

Chill out, don't let anger and despair get the better of you. (I know it's hard when you have to worry about money for food and a roof over your head.)

thanks everyone, going in to talk to someone thursday, not scheduled but havent been this low in a long time.

Hello P,,, WELCOME ...you are here among friends here. I too am like Pete.....a nurse practioneer is not what you need. You need to try to think walkin and keep telling them the main issues . Make sure it is documented. It will work in your favor in the long run for your INCREASE to PTSD. Have you filed timely appeals for increase? Have you been treated for depression and anxiety which could lead to secondary rating decision? Do you have a private Psychologist or Psychiatrist? You may need one to help with an IME (independent medical examination) to help you with your increase and possibly depression and anxiety determination. Are you having sleep issues? Insomnia can be a problem directly related to PTSD/Injuries and can be another claim rateable to you current issues

I would recommend what Jbasser said make sure that you document your work issues , your visits , test etc. of all medical visits. I would also try and get your SSDI filed and if you need a lawyer there are plenty of them that specialize in your area. They get paid off your retro so no out of pocket expenses. I would also make sure you have a doctor that will say in writing that you cannot hold a job because of your PTSD and that you are unemployable.

Yes , I know well too well how long the VA drags on and on. Most of us here have our own battles and it takes time . The main thing is that you get help , and try to focus on getting your claim going the right way and that you stay on its course to finish. Above all remember to NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Hello P,,, WELCOME ...you are here among friends here. I too am like Pete.....a nurse practioneer is not what you need. You need to try to think walkin and keep telling them the main issues . Make sure it is documented. It will work in your favor in the long run for your INCREASE to PTSD. Have you filed timely appeals for increase? Have you been treated for depression and anxiety which could lead to secondary rating decision? Do you have a private Psychologist or Psychiatrist? You may need one to help with an IME (independent medical examination) to help you with your increase and possibly depression and anxiety determination. Are you having sleep issues? Insomnia can be a problem directly related to PTSD/Injuries and can be another claim rateable to you current issues

I would recommend what Jbasser said make sure that you document your work issues , your visits , test etc. of all medical visits. I would also try and get your SSDI filed and if you need a lawyer there are plenty of them that specialize in your area. They get paid off your retro so no out of pocket expenses. I would also make sure you have a doctor that will say in writing that you cannot hold a job because of your PTSD and that you are unemployable.

Yes , I know well too well how long the VA drags on and on. Most of us here have our own battles and it takes time . The main thing is that you get help , and try to focus on getting your claim going the right way and that you stay on its course to finish. Above all remember to NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

thanks for the answer. all my history is with the va, havent seen other doctors, im pretty sure everything is documented. i have letter from work stating how i choked out another employee, also letter from private dentist stating tmj secondary to ptsd. havent had to file any appeals yet, but im ready if i need to. c&p exam on the 24th, my guts are wrenched, but i take all the med and go to my appointments so i dont totally lose it. nurse asked me today if i wanted to commit myself for a couple of days. i said no. i dont ever wanna be locked up again

i have been fire 20 times in 7 years so i gave up on ever working againg so I only get SSDI and 30% VA that all but the VA told me it not my PTSD that doning that no I should say the Admin said that but the hosp part of the VA told me " I should never never look or think about looking for work ever againg for my GAF score is 37 dont know what that is but when i grad from High scool I had a GPA over with three AP class and other classed was a 3.7 GPA

i have been fire 20 times in 7 years so i gave up on ever working againg so I only get SSDI and 30% VA that all but the VA told me it not my PTSD that doning that no I should say the Admin said that but the hosp part of the VA told me " I should never never look or think about looking for work ever againg for my GAF score is 37 dont know what that is but when i grad from High scool I had a GPA over with three AP class and other classed was a 3.7 GPA

I believe a GAF score of 37 means Some impairment in reality testing or communication (e.g., speech is at times illogical, obscure, or irrelevant) OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood (e.g., depressed man avoids friends, neglects family, and is unable to work; child frequently beats up younger children, is defiant at home, and is failing at school).

• HadIt.com Elder

A GAF of 37 is a very severe rating and indicates that the Veteran should have a 100% rating or TDIU 100% provided the GAF is for a service connected injury.