VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/mst Denial

Rate this question

lp56

Question

Thank you in advance for sensitivity to these questions. I entered the army in 1976 and the two years I spent in the military was nothing but sexual harassment, intimidation, sexual battery and even rape. Reporting to my superiors what was happening to me only made it worse; in fact, my superiors were very often the ones coercing, intimidating and assaulting me. It is gut-wrenching to think or speak about all the horrible things that happened to me, but I will say that I was so despondant and desperate to get out of the army and away from all the abuse I was suffering that I actually married the soldier who raped and impregnated me. Suicide and abortion were the alternatives. At the time, I made the only choice I could to survive. While married, my ex did horrible things to my children, which gave me the courage to divorce. I have been diagnosed with PTSD due to MST from several VA doctors and the C&P examiner. I have been in therapy for over 2 years. It took over 30 years to confide in a professional about what happened in the military and although I have documented all the stressors well and have many letters from family and friends and one year of psych records, I have no official police reports or medical evidence except the pregnancy to corroborate my claims. My claim was denied because the examiner said it is "unlikely" anyone would marry the person who raped them. They also said one of my journal entries said I laughed with my ex. They also said my PTSD was more likely due from my daughter being molested, which was not service connected. There was no mention whatsoever of any of the other reported MST I documented in my claim or that were in my psych records and how any of that caused my PTSD.

I plan to file a NOD, but want to make sure I do it correctly. Here are my questions about the NOD. Should I send in any additional information, such as more psych records and letter from pastor who counseled me with the NOD? The psych records document everything if someone would only read them. Should the NOD be a standard letter with the required info or should I address the reasons why they denied me? Should I have lawyer represent me or wait to see if I need to appeal further? I was really expecting a Women Veteran Coordinator to contact me because of the sensitivity of the MST claim, but I was not contacted. I am hoping someone with more experience and sensitivity with MST will review my case. I really appreciate any advice on what to do next. Thank you.

• Answers 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi, My name is Mystic. I was in the USN. Im just submitting a claim. I too was rapped, married him. Ive mdd, and sever ptsd. Several physical injuries and fibromyalgia. I was so compelled by this story, I Just had to remark. Ive an important question to Wings. Where can I find the claim that had the Stockholm syndrome in it, with J. Moore as the attorney for the appellant? Please. Its important. I read all of this yeasterday, and then made a call to Moores office, in case my claim isnt approved. If I can help any of you, please ask away. My experience was in 1979/80. Sincerely, Mystic

Hi, My name is Mystic. I was in the USN. Im just submitting a claim. I too was rapped, married him. Ive mdd, and sever ptsd. Several physical injuries and fibromyalgia. I was so compelled by this story, I Just had to remark. Ive an important question to Wings. Where can I find the claim that had the Stockholm syndrome in it, with J. Moore as the attorney for the appellant? Please. Its important. I read all of this yeasterday, and then made a call to Moores office, in case my claim isnt approved. If I can help any of you, please ask away. My experience was in 1979/80. Sincerely, Mystic

http://www.va.gov/ve...es4/1034853.txt

Thank you Carlie. I was able to find it and read most if the"meat" of it. They could be talking about me, it rang so true. Sad, that ANYBODY would have to endure this, all for having answered the call and being female.I hope nobody ever asks me if it eventually stops aching, gets easier. I wouldnt want to have THAT conversation. Sincerely, Mystic

Wings, not to interrupt, but is it okay to talk on this thread, or should I start my own. Should it be about L56, and her (Hi L56, and GL with yer claim, Ill say a prayer for u!) claim, if its a quick question. Like Will getting a Congressional oversee help or hinder my claim more than anything?I was thinking of Corrine Brown, D-Florida, and is on the VA committee. Im Dyslexic, so please forgive my misspells! L56, If you need me to answer anything , or just my opinion, just ask. In all candor, Ill do ANYTHING, I can. I now this is redundant, but I MEAN it. Mystic