VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/mst Denial

Rate this question

lp56

Question

Thank you in advance for sensitivity to these questions. I entered the army in 1976 and the two years I spent in the military was nothing but sexual harassment, intimidation, sexual battery and even rape. Reporting to my superiors what was happening to me only made it worse; in fact, my superiors were very often the ones coercing, intimidating and assaulting me. It is gut-wrenching to think or speak about all the horrible things that happened to me, but I will say that I was so despondant and desperate to get out of the army and away from all the abuse I was suffering that I actually married the soldier who raped and impregnated me. Suicide and abortion were the alternatives. At the time, I made the only choice I could to survive. While married, my ex did horrible things to my children, which gave me the courage to divorce. I have been diagnosed with PTSD due to MST from several VA doctors and the C&P examiner. I have been in therapy for over 2 years. It took over 30 years to confide in a professional about what happened in the military and although I have documented all the stressors well and have many letters from family and friends and one year of psych records, I have no official police reports or medical evidence except the pregnancy to corroborate my claims. My claim was denied because the examiner said it is "unlikely" anyone would marry the person who raped them. They also said one of my journal entries said I laughed with my ex. They also said my PTSD was more likely due from my daughter being molested, which was not service connected. There was no mention whatsoever of any of the other reported MST I documented in my claim or that were in my psych records and how any of that caused my PTSD.

I plan to file a NOD, but want to make sure I do it correctly. Here are my questions about the NOD. Should I send in any additional information, such as more psych records and letter from pastor who counseled me with the NOD? The psych records document everything if someone would only read them. Should the NOD be a standard letter with the required info or should I address the reasons why they denied me? Should I have lawyer represent me or wait to see if I need to appeal further? I was really expecting a Women Veteran Coordinator to contact me because of the sensitivity of the MST claim, but I was not contacted. I am hoping someone with more experience and sensitivity with MST will review my case. I really appreciate any advice on what to do next. Thank you.

• Answers 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ip56,

Welcome to hadit.com

I added the word ***** TRIGGERS ***** to your topic - just as an alert to other's

that might find themselves having difficulties if they read the post.

Your post is fine, but this way everyone knows it could be a touchy topic for them.

People will chime in - hang in there.

IMO you should find a lawyer or get help from a female that specializes in these claims. Like Susan Smith. She has been a big help to me.

You could also contact your senator or congressman. Tell them what is going on and make sure you tell them that the examiner said "unlikely anyone would marry the person who raped them" and how the RO is saying your PTSD is caused by your daughter. I'd like to think a doctor would look at that as possible stock home??? VA doctors are quakes.

The RO, VA is known for saying PTSD related to MST was caused from anything else but the in service events. IDK how many times I was asked if anything happen to me before the service.

Here is a link that has what Susan Smith gave me: How to win MST/PTSD claim

Susan Smith talking about winning your claim: youtube video

Thank you very much.

lp,

I'm sorry your service was so traumatic; that never should have happened.

I don't have any advice but my heart is with you.

Edited by lp56

Thank you so much for the resource. I originally received assistance from a female disabled veteran representative and I am fortunate to receive my counseling from female doctors. This denial has really made me feel even more victimized. Before a decision was made, I expected to be contacted by an experience Women Veterans Coordinator due to the extreme sensitivity of my MST claim. I am aware this is a service that I am entitled to and I am assuming this service resulted from the need to effectively communicate with emotionally distressed and traumatized victims of MST.

Although my VA medical records are listed in the Evidence section of the VA letter I received, they were not listed as consideration when determining my claim. The original medical records I submitted with my claim documented 1 year of psych treatment pertaining to PTSD by MST, but I have since completed a 2nd year of treatment. Can or should I submit the additional year of psych treatment by the VA with my NOD as an addendum? Should I highlight or tag the records specifically where they address the reasons for denial such as why I got married? Can I send in any other evidence such as a letter from my pastor when I went to him for counseling or is that considered new evidence?

I did not seek help for PTSD while in the military so there is no official service treatment records to validate the diagnosis or treatment of PTSD. My symptoms of PTSD occurred years after I left the service as my document clearly states. There were no crimal investigation and no offical documentation of assault of my trauma because any attempt to seek help from my superiors were ignored or caused me additional harassment, fear, intimidation and retribution.

Any advice on whether to request a De Novo Review or a DRO Hearing so I can better explain my case? I was hoping not to employ a lawyer unless the NOD doesn't go well.

I have learned all to well that sexual assault victims are unfairly victimized and stigmatized after being raped. Consequently, victims of sexual assault are left to survive and deal with unbearable mental, emotional and physical scars that never heal or are seldom understood. I really feel like my claim examiner was critical, antagonicstic, and unfairly judged me for getting married. I also feel the C&P examiner grossly mislead and raised doubts and suspicions that my MST was unsubstantiated and therefore not credible because she only seemed to focus on my child's molestation. If my C&P examiner sufficiently delved into ALL the MST events that consequently led up to my rape, pregnancy, marriage and honorable, it would be evident how despondent and desperate I was to escape from it all.

IMO you should find a lawyer or get help from a female that specializes in these claims. Like Susan Smith. She has been a big help to me.

You could also contact your senator or congressman. Tell them what is going on and make sure you tell them that the examiner said "unlikely anyone would marry the person who raped them" and how the RO is saying your PTSD is caused by your daughter. I'd like to think a doctor would look at that as possible stock home??? VA doctors are quakes.

The RO, VA is known for saying PTSD related to MST was caused from anything else but the in service events. IDK how many times I was asked if anything happen to me before the service.

Here is a link that has what Susan Smith gave me: How to win MST/PTSD claim

Susan Smith talking about winning your claim: youtube video