VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd/mst Denial

Rate this question

lp56

Question

Thank you in advance for sensitivity to these questions. I entered the army in 1976 and the two years I spent in the military was nothing but sexual harassment, intimidation, sexual battery and even rape. Reporting to my superiors what was happening to me only made it worse; in fact, my superiors were very often the ones coercing, intimidating and assaulting me. It is gut-wrenching to think or speak about all the horrible things that happened to me, but I will say that I was so despondant and desperate to get out of the army and away from all the abuse I was suffering that I actually married the soldier who raped and impregnated me. Suicide and abortion were the alternatives. At the time, I made the only choice I could to survive. While married, my ex did horrible things to my children, which gave me the courage to divorce. I have been diagnosed with PTSD due to MST from several VA doctors and the C&P examiner. I have been in therapy for over 2 years. It took over 30 years to confide in a professional about what happened in the military and although I have documented all the stressors well and have many letters from family and friends and one year of psych records, I have no official police reports or medical evidence except the pregnancy to corroborate my claims. My claim was denied because the examiner said it is "unlikely" anyone would marry the person who raped them. They also said one of my journal entries said I laughed with my ex. They also said my PTSD was more likely due from my daughter being molested, which was not service connected. There was no mention whatsoever of any of the other reported MST I documented in my claim or that were in my psych records and how any of that caused my PTSD.

I plan to file a NOD, but want to make sure I do it correctly. Here are my questions about the NOD. Should I send in any additional information, such as more psych records and letter from pastor who counseled me with the NOD? The psych records document everything if someone would only read them. Should the NOD be a standard letter with the required info or should I address the reasons why they denied me? Should I have lawyer represent me or wait to see if I need to appeal further? I was really expecting a Women Veteran Coordinator to contact me because of the sensitivity of the MST claim, but I was not contacted. I am hoping someone with more experience and sensitivity with MST will review my case. I really appreciate any advice on what to do next. Thank you.

• Answers 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just received my SOC from the VARO for service connected ptsd and I am absolutely sick about it. I really need help on where to turn now because I want to continue to fight this, but it seems like no matter what evidence I submit, service connection for PTSD due to MST is almost impossible to achieve. The SOC I received stated that "You have submitted copies of emails, letters, journals entries and documents from the Army indicating evidence of military sexual trauma. Based on all the evidence received, we have conceded that you did suffer from military sexual trauma during your military service. Treatment reports from VAMC/Outpatient Clinic show you have received treatment for PTSD symptoms and for major depressive disorder. VA examination dated on February 14, 2012, states you have a diagnosis of PTSD and dysthymia disorder. The examiner provides the opinion that she cannot say with confidence that your military sexual trauma experiences meet criteria A for PTSD. The examiner also states she cannot resolve that the issue of PTSD is a result of your military experience without resort to mere speculation. Service connection for PTSD remains denied. Although we conceded that you were exposed to traumatic events during your military service, to include military sexual trauma, we have not received any medical evidence that your PTSD is the result of your military sexual trauma. We have requested 2 different VA examinations, with 2 different examiners and both have been unable to provide a medical opinion that your PTSD is the result of your military sexual trauma. The treatment reports from the Outpatient clinic show you have received treatment for PTSD symptoms associated with your history of military sexual trauma. However, these reports do not provide a medical opinion and rationale that your PTDS is due to military sexual trauma, and the result of other trauma."

My MH doctor specifically told me her medical notes were more vague due to my privacy, so If I asked her to write a medical opinion and rationale that my PTSD is due to MST, would this help? Should I go to a civilian MH doctor to gain another opinion?

I was sent a Form 9 and must state why I think the VA decided my case incorrectly. Is it time for a lawyer? I didn't received much help from the VFW due to the VSOs lack of experience and uncomfortableness with MST. I am trying to find records from an outpatient base clinic which will show pregnancy test, STD test and other sickness from the timeframe of MST. It seems the VA wants to link PTSD to me witnessing molestation of daughter almost 15 years after MST instead of all that happened during active duty. Can anyone PLEASE advise me? I feel so hurt, betrayed and now even angry, especially that the VA conceded that I was exposed to MST during my military service.

Edited by lp56