VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loans

Rate this topic

RuskiLinguist

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fingers Crossed for you....

This was a reply from back in September. Like most, I don't like to be wrong. Has there been any update. I am on pins and needles now. My reputation might be held in the hands of some beauracratic YERK!!! How can I help cut out the red tape on this one? I want All of us to get the benefits we have been promised and have earned by more than 1 or 2 sacrifices that most will never know.

XOXOX World,

Power To The Ruski ;-)

Since may, I have watched 2 other veterans (1 at 100% schedule; and 1 at 70% plus TDIU) get forgiveness of their student loans. Neither has taken more than the time yours has been in process. Please help me, help you, and I will be glad to help scrutinize every detail to see if there is anything different between me and these other 2 and your husbands situation. Look in your private MSG box and I will give you my direct number. I want to see you and your hubby win this supposedly easy benefit.

Smile,

Privyet od Victora

Ruski, my hero!!

The letter from one of the lenders arrived today "This(s) loan(s) is forgiven and discharged".

Apparently the actual discharge-er of the loan is the Dept. of Education. The letter had the lender's letterhead, but the contact phone number for questions took me to the DoE Discharge department.

Now funnily enough, I had already called the other lender (Sallie Mae), from whom we've heard nary a peep since submitting the application. Their representative tried to tell me that the application was being held because the Decision Letter from the VA didn't have the right wording. I told her that the DoE had granted forgiveness through the other lender, based on exactly the same information.

She put me on hold. When she came back, she told me to have DH fill out a new Discharge Application with today's date and fax it to her with a copy of the discharge letter from the other lender. I asked her about the refund of payments back to the effective date and she didn't know what I was talking about. I'm going to fax her the original application & Decision Letter, and a copy of the discharge letter.

DH said they're just trying to CTA's because they have no good excuse for the application sitting in their office when they should have forwarded it to the DoE. This is essentially what I was told by the DoE representative I spoke to at the number on the discharge letter.

What DH received was just a very brief letter saying that the Good Lender had forwarded the application to DoE, and they had granted discharge/forgiveness. The lady at the DoE said there would be a letter coming from them, and that we could stop making payments now.

SOOOOO!! Ruski was right!! THANK YOU for pushing me to do this for DH. It was so great to see the smile on his face, really priceless.

Sallie Mae has never been fun to work with... we didn't choose them to borrow from - they acquired the loan. I'm not in the least surprised at their making this tricky...

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't looged on to this site in some time, and WHAT A TREAT. I am sooooooo happy for you and would have loved to see a picture of hubby's smile when you showed him the letter.

Thank you so much for the great news and follow-up. It made my week ;-)

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use