VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Va Care Obligatory?

Rate this question

scythis

Question

Hi all :)

I was on the phone the other day looking for a civilian alternative to mental health care but I need to use my medicare benefits to use civilian care. I was told by two different hospital billing agents and two different mental health care referral agents something very interesting. Although they weren't sure about this, they said that they are almost 100% sure that if you get VA benefits for something that you cannot use medicare as insurance with them because you can go to the VA. I know that VA benefits (both financial and medical) are not considered insurance.

Has anyone had any experience with having VA benefits and successfully using Medicare to access civilian services (even if those services are covered by a VA benefit), without any issues?

Thanks! :biggrin:

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

scythis,

I read thru your past posting and see you have been trying to find

treatment/help for mental health disability that is an alternative to the

VA, for over a year now.

I have not seen any reply from you as to if, you have tried to access

services at the Vet Center that is closest to you.

Have you tried to get care for your depression at a Vet Center yet

as you might be eligible to go there ?

Here's a link to locations for Vet Centers in MI.

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/state.asp?State=MI&dnum=ALL

I appreciate the replies but my question was really if anyone has had any success using medicare, even though they have VA services available.

The answer is an absolute YES.

Many veterans have access to VA medical services but prefer to use other avenues, be it their private insurance or medicare.

Having VA medical care available is not a bar, to being able to use medicare benefits as an option.

I use Medicare for civilian care for mental health and have never had a problem with it, except on one occasion. I've never been asked if I had VA care, except at a medical clinic's lab department, but that was because there is a form that they required in case it was fee basis. Once I said no, it was not, I still had to complete their form, but was told to mark "no" under the VA care question. I wonder if that is what the practicioner you spoke with is referring to? Medicare does cover needed services, up to their payment levels, so I can't imagine why they would be telling you that. I've been using Medicare for years and my doctor's office doesn't even ask anything about VA accessibility, nor have they ever had a problem getting paid for the services allowed. The fee was only turned down once when Medicare didn't want to pay for therapy saying the treatment was static, but upon my appeal with a full explanation by me and doctor, they paid for it and have continued to allow for services. If the practicioners told you they were not sure, have they even worked with veterans, or do they accept Medicare assignment? It just makes me wonder if they prefer not to accept assignment since Medicare does not always pay the asked for rate, but the rate they allow. If the place accepts assignment, though, there is no cause for them to be doing that which is always best to ask, so there are no surprises. If you are doubtful, I would call Medicare directly if it were me, or it may even be in their handbook. Hope this helps...

• HadIt.com Elder

Federal worker's compensation pays for my private mental health care even though I am TDIU for MH condition from VA. The only good thing about getting care at the VA is that you create a living record of ongoing treatment that is easily accessable to the VA. My MH treatment at the VA is poor, but I go every three months and get my meds and chit chat for a few minutes. This keeps you in the loop.