VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Results Back, Confused

Rate this question

jokerwaswild

Question

Hello fellow veterans, I am a twenty year Army vet, and served in the first Gulf War. I have been expirencing these problems for years and finally decided to get help for my Anxiety and depression problems. I am currently under VA care for anxiety and depression. I also have severe sleep Apnea, with a CPAP machine from the VA. I visited the VA center in Brooksville, FL and seen a psychratrist about possible PTSD. She gave me a GAF score of 60.

I sent my packet out in April, recieved C&P exam in August 2011 for PTSD.

I just received my C&P results in the mail today two months after examination. The exam was for PTSD and sleep Apnea

Based on the report the doctors does say I have PTSD and listed a ICD Code of 308.1. Under her diagnosis she put

Axis 1: PTSD related to veteran's fear of hostile or terrist activity, GAD, and Major depression, recurrent

Axis 2: None

Axis 3: Insomnia (Medical records)

Axis 4: problems with primary support and problems related to social enviroment

Axis 5. GAF 55

Comments: Veteran has severe anxiety result from past and current relationships failures/problems and current stressors as well as medical problems/pain PTSD sx stated wheile deployed to the Gulf War (1) and have continued without remission, vet was tearful and appeared overwhelmed by current situation.

Under functional impact: Occupational ad social impairment with reduced reiability and productivity

Under Competency: she put Opionion: Veterans PTSD,Anxiety, and depression are as likely as not related to fear of terrorist activity/combat and S/C medical disorders.

Yet, she starts out checking all the boxes for PTSD, and closes with this confusing statement.

My medical records have sleep issues and a refereal to mental health for Gulf War Syndrome in 1998. (Don't ask me where are the results)

My question is do I qualify still for compensation or do I have a fight ahead.

Thanks,

Joker

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I read the C & P report and it is confusing at one point. She has a section there which states rule out PTSd and then she goes ahead and checks the boxes for PTSD. It looks like she has confused two separate C & P exams for two different Veterans.

However, in the end she selects a PTSD category for severity which matches your symptoms.

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining Effective work and social relationships ………………..50%

This is copied from the rating criteria and matches your report.

My guess is a 50% rating at this point.

Good Luck!

NSA-Saigon-ET

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I am reading that --all of the dots are connected to award service-connection for PTSD. I have no idea how the raters will assign your percentage. I was looking for a chronic and severe notation but saw none. However, I did read that --you had served 20 years, and that you have experienced symptoms (sxs) of PTSD since military discharge. In my mind, that would make your PTSD definately "chronic". As ptsd sxs can go up and down in severity over time, I would think your medical history will also play a significant role in assigning your percentage. Hopefully, you have released your private medical records to the VA, and the VA has collected both your VA medical and military medical. You mental status examination was postive for PTSD and Depression, but negative for severe symptomology. Your occupational impairment was also noted. I did not see your occupational history, but I may have missed a page. Good luck, and thank you for your service. ~Wings

Wings, thanks for the response. I retired in 04' worked for the county for 7 months before I had to stop for physical reasons, worked for myself until 08', stopped for back related issues. Had a sleep study done , failed that test so bad the VA gave me a CPAP machine because I complained of sleep through out my military career. Yes, I released my info, I guess that's what I saw in my ebenifits claims section. My overlapping conditions between physical and mental problems hopefully will warrant TDIU.

Thanks,

Joker

1319640253' post=261244]

x

x

x

I am reading that --all of the dots are connected to award service-connection for PTSD. I have no idea how the raters will assign your percentage. I was looking for a chronic and severe notation but saw none. However, I did read that --you had served 20 years, and that you have experienced symptoms (sxs) of PTSD since military discharge. In my mind, that would make your PTSD definately "chronic". As ptsd sxs can go up and down in severity over time, I would think your medical history will also play a significant role in assigning your percentage. Hopefully, you have released your private medical records to the VA, and the VA has collected both your VA medical and military medical. You mental status examination was postive for PTSD and Depression, but negative for severe symptomology. Your occupational impairment was also noted. I did not see your occupational history, but I may have missed a page. Good luck, and thank you for your service. ~Wings

As for as i am concern your claim look good (mobie16r opinion),but if VA dont rate you unemployable,i would not hesitate to file a claim for sleep apnea,because it is documented in your SMR records about your sleep disorder and if you use a CPAP machine,50% rating.

Saigon, thanks for responding. Yes, I agree, medical lingo is weird and confusing. However, as long as they checked off on the boxes, I am happy. I believe what they did was combined both visits to the psy doc. The one that says rule out came from the first doctor who examined me, it appears the second statement came from C&P examiner.the one who gave me a GAF of 55. I also see the pscho doctor who is prescribing me meds statement is also in there.

Joker

1319636024' post=261234]

I read the C & P report and it is confusing at one point. She has a section there which states rule out PTSd and then she goes ahead and checks the boxes for PTSD. It looks like she has confused two separate C & P exams for two different Veterans.

However, in the end she selects a PTSD category for severity which matches your symptoms.

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining Effective work and social relationships ………………..50%

This is copied from the rating criteria and matches your report.

My guess is a 50% rating at this point.

Good Luck!

NSA-Saigon-ET

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings, thanks for the response. I retired in 04' worked for the county for 7 months before I had to stop for physical reasons, worked for myself until 08', stopped for back related issues. Had a sleep study done , failed that test so bad the VA gave me a CPAP machine because I complained of sleep through out my military career. Yes, I released my info, I guess that's what I saw in my ebenifits claims section. My overlapping conditions between physical and mental problems hopefully will warrant TDIU.

Thanks,

Joker

Sounds like a good plan! I feel confident you will be SC for PTSD. ~Wings