VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vcaa Letter

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I sent a request for VA RO in Waco at end of July 2011 asking for a higher A&A rating as I feel I meet the criteria for the higher rating.

Currently I have a SMC S Rating because I am 100& Service Connected for Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia.

The letter says it is working on special compensation for aid and attendance/housebound and for a special home adaptation grant.

I did not request the home adaptation grant I just got a new shower.

You mentioned treatment at Dallas VAMC I am supposed to give dates of treatment and by who?

I am supposed to send copies of progress reports and anything Docs say that support my claim.

They say that if I give dates and who treated they will get the records they need but otherwise they will not.

According to this notice I have 30 days before the VA may make their decision.

I feel like I am getting the bums rush

Pete

I also wonder about the fact that I am service connected for panic disorder and major depression is this able to be linked to the need for aid and attendance for bathing, some grooming, helping keep medications straight, that I use a walker and cane and I was granted a HISA Grant to improve my bathroom.

Sometimes this can be over whelming especially when you get a fast deadline thrown at you out of the blue.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Do you get copies of your progress notes after each appt?

I find that helps me be able to get what they say they don't have to them. I feel your frustration. I had a cp a couple of weeks ago for sleep apnea three weeks after I received a denial for sleep apnea. Go figure, and when I get there the doc doesn't have the sleep study that they sent me to back in Nov 09.

I think you have a strong case considering you have stability issues and would need help in and out of the shower, not to mention someone to help around the house to do the things you are unable to do now. Do you take pain meds too? big plus. Good luck

/doc

Do you get copies of your progress notes after each appt?

I find that helps me be able to get what they say they don't have to them. I feel your frustration. I had a cp a couple of weeks ago for sleep apnea three weeks after I received a denial for sleep apnea. Go figure, and when I get there the doc doesn't have the sleep study that they sent me to back in Nov 09.

I think you have a strong case considering you have stability issues and would need help in and out of the shower, not to mention someone to help around the house to do the things you are unable to do now. Do you take pain meds too? big plus. Good luck

/doc

I have the full Healthy Vet access and It lists out all appointments I have had in the last 2 years I think. That might help with figuring out the dates of appointments. Providing your using VA health care.

Best regards,

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I might shop around for a lawyer in your area, Pete. I also think you are getting the bum's rush on this. I think the VA is attempting to place the entire burden of proof on you when you should have benefit of doubt. You might want to get an IMO. Thirty days is not enough time. Should not the VA schedule you for a C&P exam to determine if you qualify for A&A? The way they are setting it up you must have a doctor say you need A&A or you will get denied. I can just hear them saying "The medical record does not establish a need for A&A" when they are the ones that selectively scan the record looking for reasons to deny.

• HadIt.com Elder

pete you should ask your docs for recommendations for A&A I have them from both my primary care and my shrink I am getting ready to file for it and ask for a house grant to expand my bathroom to make it accessible for my wheelchairs both push and power I think the room will have to be expanded honestly and I don't think the 4000 dollar grant will cover it, since I am going to go thru this with them I am also going to file for the K award for ED might as well do it all at once I also have to file for the AICD implant to take me from 60% for CAD to 100% let them do it all at once

good luck on your A&A claim

A VCAA notification is mandatory whenever you open a claim. The verbage is standard. If you can not send information in 30 day you can ask for an extension. If the information is a a government facility the VA will get the information for you. You just have to tell them where you were treated.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sharon:

Thank you but the fact is that is not what the letter said. It told me that I had to give treatment dates for the VA to obtain the records. It one place it acknowledges that I told them I was treated at Dallas VA. It says to provide dates of treatment and they will obtain the records.

One would think that they would need all of my treatment records at least going back to the award of SMC S.

I want you to know that I am not lashing out at you just formulating a game plan.

Pete