VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Consultative Examination

Rate this question

Bonzai

Question

I was researching a question on another board about whether or not you could have your own provider do the Consultative Examination (Mental or Physical). I found the following:

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/greenbook/ce-guidelines.htm

Note: The treating source is the preferred source of purchased examinations when the treating source is qualified, equipped and willing to perform the additional examination or tests for the fee schedule payment and generally furnishes complete and timely reports. Even if only a supplemental test is required, the treating source is ordinarily the preferred source for this service. SSA's rules provide for using an independent source (other than the treating source) for a CE or diagnostic study if:

. The treating source prefers not to perform the examination;

. There are conflicts or inconsistencies in the file that cannot be resolved by going back to the treating source;

. The claimant prefers another source and has a good reason for doing so; or

. Prior experience indicates that the treating source may not be a productive source.

So I guess if your provider is qualified, able, and willing to do the Consultative Exam for the schedule fee, they are "supposed to be" the preferred provider to do it. This is very, very interesting...

Has anyone had their provider do a CE requested by Social Security?

I wonder, if notified that Social Security has scheduled a CE, a person then asks that it be performed by their own provider?

It seems like Social Security and the providers contracted with Social Security to do the consultative examinations have their own nice racket going on; because this information is not generally known to the public. I know I wasn't given a choice - and my treating provider is 'supposedly' the preferred source?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I wish I could answer this but my application for SSDI was disapproved...Filed a Reconsideration Request and had it disapproved in 8 days before they even received all my evidence. Contacted the DDO who confirmed she never goy ANY of my evidence and that she would "speak with her supervisor and get back with me". I have been getting the runaround now since October 7th with her.

Thoughout this entire process which dates back to February, I HAVE NEVER BEEN SCHEDULED for a Consultive Examination. Isn't this a requirement?? Can I request one??? What a nightmare...:sad:

LC

I was denied 2 times for SSDI then got a Lawyer, best thing I could have done, cost me $4000.00 out of my retro but well worth it, been on SSDI since 2002 now.

My advice get a Lawyer.

NJ

I was denied 2 times for SSDI then got a Lawyer, best thing I could have done, cost me $4000.00 out of my retro but well worth it, been on SSDI since 2002 now.

My advice get a Lawyer.

NJ

Thanks for the reply. Guess I've been putting off gatting a lawyer because I felt I shouldn't have to PAY someone for what I beleive I honestly am entitled to. But, as someone here has mentioned...80% of something is better than 100% of nothing! Sucks that the system is this way but it is what it is. Thanks for your advice...I'll be looking into this next week.

LC