VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To Voc Rehab Or Not?

Rate this question

westcoastlv

Question

Hello All,

History: My husband was awarded 50% PTSD back in July 2011. Part of the VA reasoning for not awarding a higher percentage was because he hadn't applied for SSDI or Voc Rehab. (BTW: I thought a veteran could only apply for Voc Rehab after they were rated, so using that reason for a lower percentage is ridiculous.)

As a result, my husband filed for an increase (we were advised that an appeal would take forever) which included a strong medical opinion for 100%. The claim is in development, and the VA has added many of the previous claim documents to the file such as the application for TDIU, personal statements etc. At the same time as filing the claim for increase, my husband also applied for SSDI.

My question is: should he also apply for Voc Rehab? We feel, as well as his doctor, that Voc Rehab will not be able to offer him any education or employment services due to the PTSD. (If that's their ruling, then it can only help his 100% plight).

I don't know where to turn in this application. The instructions say to turn into any VA office. Does that mean medical? I can't figure out how to apply online through E-benefits.

As a side note, when my husband received his initial rating letter, I put together a NOD. When we took it to the DAV, he said that a NOD would take years to resolve and advised my husband to file the increase instead. I haven't sent the NOD, however, I was thinking about changing the wording and submitting it as a Statement in Support of Claim because I feel like it has some good points. My husband also has a claim in for Dependents, both claims since August, and he hasn't received a VCAA notice for either to date.

Just looking for some suggestions from others that are more experienced with the VA than me.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@Berta,

Thank you for reviewing my attachment. The actual 'package' is 38 pages long. On each page I list the exact info from the award letter, name, ssn and the reference number from the VA, along with his address, and page of page #. I didn't want to include all of the attachements, however, they are listed on the last page of the 'NOD' so they know what is included.

As for SSDI, the application was made on 8/9/11, not decided yet. If it is awarded, I will then foward that decision to VARO. Also, I was going to apply for Voc Rehad, and give them a copy of the recent Dr.s statements showing that he is unable to work or attend school (which my husband got after the decision).

In my previous career, I was a contracts manager and had to prepare documents for legal review, so I clearly understand the importance of keeping my ducks in a row.

My husband and I have lived and breathed this claim for over a year now. It seems so clear to me that he should have received a higher rating, but its great to get feedback from those that are much more experienced than I.

I will fashion this as a 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim using the wording you suggested. On every attachment, I have highlighted specifically what I've referenced in the NOD letter. Most everything I've cited is from the original claim, with the exception of the Dr. Letter on 08/09/11.

When we submit the Reconsideration Request / NOD, how will that affect the claim for increase? We haven't even received a VCAA notice for the increase claim yet, and the 800# says they haven't sent it.

"When we submit the Reconsideration Request / NOD, how will that affect the claim for increase? We haven't even received a VCAA notice for the increase claim yet, and the 800# says they haven't sent it. "

If you mean the TDIU claim as a claim for increase, I think the Recon Request/NOD could resolve the claim for increase.

My satelite dish company just popped up saying that due to severe weather we might have satelite outages today.

I already had one or two brief losses of internet (the weather is beautiful here but it is affecting their sattelite elsewhere so I better get off the PC.

Your vet rep or NSO could better advise you as to the affect of this NOD recon request to any pending claims.

This link has lots of info on Voc Rehab:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm

There are additional links at the top right hand side.

I am not sure where to send the app-hope that info is in this link.

Or that others here will chime in-

I lost sight of my original question: How do I apply for Voc Rehab? We have the application completed, I just don't know where to send it.

I sent mine to Regional Office by certified-return receipt at USPS. Use address provided on their correspondence. I had an appointment set up by voc-rehab in about 2 weeks.

That is correct- I found my husband's old Voc Rehap stuff and he sent the app to his RO, then got the appt at VA in Rochester with someone in Voc Rehab ( that appointment only took about 10 minutes but getting to Rochester was a day trip for us.)

and once he enrolled at Corning College he was helped by a Gulf War vet-she was their VA Voc Rehab coordinator, and it went smoothly from that point on.

On Line colleges all have a VA counselor as part of their Financial Aid offices, as long as the school is VA approved.

I had very few problems under Chap 35 (a little different from Voc Rehab)by using my email contact to VA Edu Dept and email to the AMU VA counselor.