VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To Voc Rehab Or Not?

Rate this question

westcoastlv

Question

Hello All,

History: My husband was awarded 50% PTSD back in July 2011. Part of the VA reasoning for not awarding a higher percentage was because he hadn't applied for SSDI or Voc Rehab. (BTW: I thought a veteran could only apply for Voc Rehab after they were rated, so using that reason for a lower percentage is ridiculous.)

As a result, my husband filed for an increase (we were advised that an appeal would take forever) which included a strong medical opinion for 100%. The claim is in development, and the VA has added many of the previous claim documents to the file such as the application for TDIU, personal statements etc. At the same time as filing the claim for increase, my husband also applied for SSDI.

My question is: should he also apply for Voc Rehab? We feel, as well as his doctor, that Voc Rehab will not be able to offer him any education or employment services due to the PTSD. (If that's their ruling, then it can only help his 100% plight).

I don't know where to turn in this application. The instructions say to turn into any VA office. Does that mean medical? I can't figure out how to apply online through E-benefits.

As a side note, when my husband received his initial rating letter, I put together a NOD. When we took it to the DAV, he said that a NOD would take years to resolve and advised my husband to file the increase instead. I haven't sent the NOD, however, I was thinking about changing the wording and submitting it as a Statement in Support of Claim because I feel like it has some good points. My husband also has a claim in for Dependents, both claims since August, and he hasn't received a VCAA notice for either to date.

Just looking for some suggestions from others that are more experienced with the VA than me.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Voc Rehab has a separate office at every VARO, There is little or no communication with either so be sure and know that. Voc Rehab has their own files and procedures

I applied for VOC Rehab in the middle of Jan. I used ebenfits aka epeggy. I have a appt tommorow Feb 6th. I don't think I will ever work again but I want to go to the NLC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim Mac

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? If you are over 40 getting rehabbed probably won't do you much good since no one will hire you anyway. If you could get rehabbed for some self-employed type work that might be good. I went through voc rehab while I worked at the post office since I knew I could not continue that kind of work. Voc rehab did not do much for me. I was getting close to age 50 and who is going to hire an aging geezer with a disability? I was making 50 grand at my crummy USPS job and where was I going to get that money when I could not even do a clerk's job any more. It did help my TDIU claim down the road.

Well I am 52 and a FAA lic airframe and powerplant mechanic. My average is 60,000 before OT. I never wanted to quit working. I am out on short term disabilty now. I am also retired AF so it took me about 35 years to get where I am now. I hare it was on the top of my profession and now its over

Jim Mac, this thread is over a year old, might be better to start a new one....with your case....