VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mmpi

Rate this question

jokerwaswild

Question

After reviewing my c&p results for PTSD. everything looks good, but one section says: MMPI invalid profile.

Now from my understanding it has something to do with a test I took at my c&p exam.

Does anybody have a clue what this means?

Thanks,

Joker

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Joker,

Could be Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) which is used widely for evaluating mental disorders.Invalid profile. My guess is that nothing definite could be determined from the test. jmo

Edited by Harv

• HadIt.com Elder

MMPI has a lot of scales but I don't know if there is one for PTSD. It matches your answers to other people with known DX for a variety of conditions.

There are two PTSD scales on the MMPI-2: PK and PS. PK=Keane PTSD scale which has been found to be an effective tool for differential diagnosis when a cut-off score of 28 is used. PS=The Schlenger PTSD scale warrants additional study. Various MMPI-2 validity scales are useful in detecting malingering, but concurrence regarding cut-off scores is lacking. The 2-8/8-2 MMPI PTSD profile does not emerge as consistently on the MMPI-2 as it did on the MMPI, due to the frequent elevation of scale 7 on the MMPI-2.The MMPI-2 cannot and should not be used as a stand alone diagnostic tool. So an Invalid Profile is just that- Invalid so don't get real upset about it. The examiner should have retested you. A canned or "cook book" interpretation is grounds to diminish the importance of the test if you need to appeal a decision based on an MMPI-2 as is lack of monitoring. If you try to appear better or worse than you actually are, the validation scales will more than likely show it. If you were not monitored while you were taking the MMPI-2 that invalidates the profile also.

You need to get a copy of the report which will include a number of graphs showing the various scales. Without those scales it would be impossible to determine the cause of the Invalid Profile.

There are some actual MMPI-2 validation scales:

The F Scale: This scale is used to detect attempts at “faking good” or “faking bad.” Essentially, people who score high on this test are trying to appear better or worse than they really are. This scale asks questions designed to determine if test-takers are contradicting themselves in their responses.

The K Scale: Sometimes referred to as the “defensiveness scale,” this scale is a more effective and less obvious way of detecting attempts to present oneself in the best possible way. Research has demonstrated, however, that those of a higher educational level and socioeconomic status tend to score higher on the K Scale.

The ? Scale: Also known as the “cannot say” scale, this validity scale is the number of items left unanswered. The MMPI manual recommends that any test with 30 or more unanswered questions be declared invalid.

TRIN Scale: The True Response Inconsistency Scale was developed to detect patients who respond inconsistently. This section consists of 23 paired questions that are opposite of each other.

VRIN Scale: The Variable Response Inconsistency Scale is another method developed to detect inconsistent responses.

The Fb Scale: This scale is composed of 40 items that less than 10% of normal respondents support. High scores on this scale sometimes indicate that the respondent stopped paying attention and began answering questions randomly.

However, an outrageously high/low score on any of the 1-9 scales or leaving more than 30 questions unanswered can also produce an invalid profile. Profile 8-2 (and more recently 8-7-2 (mine)) seem to be the gold standard for PTSD along with the PK and PS scales.

This is a fairly complete explanation:

http://en.wikipedia....ality_Inventory

You can take the MMPI 2 online (FREE!) here:

http://www.mindfithypnosis.com/articles/mmpr2-online-test.shtml

Once you answer all 567 T/F questions, click the Score button and all the graphs with show up with your scores. You can interpret your scores here:

http://www.mindfithypnosis.com/articles/mmpi-scoring.htm

Please don't use this to try to self diagnose! Without some in depth training your interpretation of these scores wouldn't be real helpful. If you are having problems, PLEASE get counseling even if it means going to the ER!!!

I kind of use it as a semi-annual "systems check". You will find that if you answer the questions fairly and honestly, the results will be startlingly accurate--I have.

Hope this helps!

Edited by GuaymasJim

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

In determining whether service connection is warranted for a disability, VA

is responsible for determining whether the evidence supports the claim or is

in relative equipoise, with the veteran prevailing in either event, or

whether a preponderance of the evidence is against the claim, in which case

the claim is denied. 38 U.S.C.A. § 5107; Gilbert v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App.

49 (1990).

A claimant will be given the benefit of the doubt and will prevail

when the evidence is in "relative equipoise," and the claim will be denied

only if "a fair preponderance of the evidence is against the claim." 38

U.S.C. § 5107(b); Gilbert v. Derwinski, 1 Vet.App. 49, 55-56 (1990).

Wings, based on my c&p ( she stated I have PTSD and supported all areas) Just curious about certain areas of exam. I do have another question? I am already sc for

20% for lumbar strain 10% for herninia repair10% for knee contusions

If they sc me for PTSD and sleep apnea with the va funky math what would my comp be if they gave sc 50% for PTSD, 50% for sleep apnea, and increase my back condition from 20 to 40%? These are the claims I have in now.

Joker

1320015751' post=261647]

x

x

x

In determining whether service connection is warranted for a disability, VA

is responsible for determining whether the evidence supports the claim or is

in relative equipoise, with the veteran prevailing in either event, or

whether a preponderance of the evidence is against the claim, in which case

the claim is denied. 38 U.S.C.A. § 5107; Gilbert v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App.

49 (1990).

A claimant will be given the benefit of the doubt and will prevail

when the evidence is in "relative equipoise," and the claim will be denied

only if "a fair preponderance of the evidence is against the claim." 38

U.S.C. § 5107(b); Gilbert v. Derwinski, 1 Vet.App. 49, 55-56 (1990).