VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prescription Drugs List

Rate this topic

Last spring when I was at VA. I gave the list of drugs that I was taking. The primary Doctor at Va said half the thing on list they don't have or cover. Is there a list of prescription drugs that VA cover's? Like my Lupron shot for my Cancer is $2,300 out pocket. Right now i have privite insurance, which I'm going to lose shortly. What does a Vet. do that is unemployed?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks this will help, there is so much paper crap out, it's hard to see forest!

• HadIt.com Elder

Even if not on VA Formulary any med that cannot be substituted for the VA has to get it for you. Its more paperwork but what you need is a Doc to say nothing else will do.

I get Plavix cause my coronary Doc wrote on a prescription pad that I would die if I don;t have it.

Pete53,

I'm going to the VA tomorrow,Thank's. Now if i can get my wife drug's taken care of.

• HadIt.com Elder

Plavix is on the formulary. It's just that it costs real money, and, as a result, the VA has tried to get out of providing it.

If a VA doctor takes time to read the VA guidelines for the drug, Most of us with IHD or other serious heart problems more than qualify.

My non VA cardiologist prescribes it, and the typical VA PCP is not qualified to argue. If nothing else, the PCP would have to contact the cardiologist,

and get approval to change the medication.

Non formulary items can be a real pain to get. Even after a PCP has ordered them. Seems the VA has this real pain in the rear system

that requires the PCP to "justify" the use. Then, the VA pharmacy may kick it back, with a recommendation to use something else.

This will require another round of paper.

Several years ago, I got into the process based upon a formulary patch vs. formulary gum. The VAMC was reserving the gum for inpatients and residents.

The patches were cheaper, and the VAMC staff argued that the gum was easier and less time intensive to use on the inpatients and residents.

(Convenience, in other words, and possibly someone's cost reduction suggestion.) "Veterans come first" - HAH!

The PCP had never gone through the process, and the other clinic staff chose not to, due to the hassle.

It went almost to the point of making a written complaint, based upon the veteran's drug act provisions to get the VAMC to issue the gum.

Even if not on VA Formulary any med that cannot be substituted for the VA has to get it for you. Its more paperwork but what you need is a Doc to say nothing else will do.

I get Plavix cause my coronary Doc wrote on a prescription pad that I would die if I don;t have it.

Edited by Chuck75