VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prescription Drugs List

Rate this topic

I will call my primary doc and get him to write letter about my PC and the side affect from the DMII, PN and take that to the VA.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get a non-formulary medication from the VA three things happen --I am on two non-forms now Celebrex and Cymbalta-- Your PCP has to try three other drug alternatives, and those drugs must fail. So, for Celebrex. I took mobic and nsaids. I almost bled out from the nsaid. Now, I get to take Celebrex. I was on it in the military, but it didn't work great, so they put me on Vioxx, until it got pulled off the market.

Fail three then you get. Or, if there is no alternative to the medication then the doctor can prescribe it immediately.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sc yes that may be what us required at youe VAMC but there are hundreds of VA Medical Centers and many have different rules. The main rule for the formulary is to dispense medication on the cheap.

That said in Dallas your PCP can get it with a note to the pharmacy. Since the VA tracks this stuff it can still be difficult.

You're right Pete, the rules that govern non-formulary are simply that a request procedure exist at each medical center, that each pharmacy review each request within 96 hours, and that an appeal process exists for those individuals who are denied a medication that is non-formulary.

You have to check with the individual medical center to find out how they go about it.

Edited by scscrewed

• HadIt.com Elder

My Medicare Cardioligist wrote on a prescription note if this patient does not get plavix he will die and guess what they gave it to me.