VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prescription Drugs List

Rate this topic

I am really having an uphill battle.

I called MD Anderson in Orlando and Houston and got some minimum wage folks. They were very nice

but not informed. Will try some different numbers tomorrow.

I have established that the VA will furnish Zytiga if you have failed chemo.

I have established that MD Anderson will prescribe Zytiga through special

permission from FDA to patients who have not had chemo.

The question now is if MD Anderson says I need Zytiga NOW, will the

VA pharmacy furnish it at no cost? (Show me the money)

Since my VA oncologist doesn't want to make waves, I am going to

go to MD Anderson in Orlando at my expense and get a script for

Zytiga.

Is this the way to go????

It seems ridiculous to start ketoconazole because the FDA has not

given the blessing to the VA but has to MD Anderson.

BTW the PSA has gone from 36 Feb 23 to 96 May 4.

So far I don't have any pain or metastasis.

I do not want to go the chemo route!!!!!!

Sorry i was out of pocket. I was down at MD Anderson and my PSA 0.2 now. They were real pleased and they think that i can continue until January of next year. The blood look's good!!!

Do you have Medicare, MD Anderson will take that.

VA has got the approval from the FDA for the use of Zytiga before chemo!! There just CHEAP!! Tell your VA doctor you want to talk the head guy in charge.

The MD Anderson doctor's said to me last year---- that chemo does not work on PC metastasis cancer's or at these mine PC!

Good luck and God Bless!!!!

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, the VA National Formulary is basically for show. I am in my third state (MI, GA, and FL) and none of them have all of the medication listed in the national formulary. I have yet to find anyone who can direct me to the established formulary  for the state.

I will say the VA in Grand Rapids, Michigan, was quite good, especially when compared to the Atlanta VA (mental health was great; everything else was dreadful) and Orlando VA. Today I was informed that Wellbutrin is not on the formulary and they only have bupropion. Bupropion does not work for me; Wellbutrin does. When I explained that the psychiatrist in Atlanta faxed the prescription to Express Scripts (Tricare) I was informed that in Florida they cannot do that. Seriously?!? The psychiatrist is unable to write a prescription on a prescription pad and fax that to Express Scripts?!?!? The impression I was given is that it is "not in their job description." To say I am frustrated is an understatement.

I will attempt to get it through with the paperwork listed above. Should that fail, I will be consulting a VA accredited attorney to assist.

I understand that the VA was grossly under-funded for decades, though there seems to be no concern for the veterans they are charged with treating with the more funding. It is a sad statement on how little veterans are actually valued. Sounds like it is time to mandate military service for everyone so that all Americans understand and experience the sacrifices made for their freedoms!