VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Examiner Mis Interpretation

Rate this question

jokerwaswild

Question

Hello, I have a question regarding my C& P results for PTSD. There is an issue with what the examiner interpreted as one of my stressors for PTSD. To make a long story short, during the Gulf War, I was in support the 3rd ACR which entered Iraq during the initial push in 1990-1991 Gulf War. I witnessed dead bodies smashed in the sand and other unbelievable carnage during that time. I also, was on grave registration detail and witness what appeared to be a dead pilot or tanker in a body bag.

This image was one of my stressors I am claiming. Now, I wrote in my stressor statement about the incident and never mentioned gender. I only said “dead pilot”.

During my first visit to the VA I told the story to the psych doctor and in her notes she states exactly what I said, Dead pilot. My statement to the VA has, “Dead Pilot”, however, when I got my C&P results back, the examiner put down as one of my stressors, that I seen a (Female) pilot dead face in the body bag. Which is not exactly true.

My question is, should I wait until the rating decision come back before addressing this matter, or should I send a letter rebutting her statement now? Also, I have searched all over for friends who served with me in the Gulf and cannot find any to confirm my statement. Now from my understanding, the Joint Service Record Research Center (JSRRC) will verify unit records to confirm exact location during Gulf.

Will this have an impact on my rating decision?

Note: A copy of C&P exam is under previous post from (Jokerwaswild) you can read the entire C&P results there.

Thanks,

Joker

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your military records show that you were assigned to G&R, your statement quoted below is consistent, and I'd not worry to much. If you really want to, you might consider writing a letter to the C&P examiner, explaining the discrepancy between your statement to her vs. the written C&P report. It actually sounds like the examiner might have been trying to help your claim in an offhand way. There are quite a few females serving as tanker crew members.

It is always better to also have some verification of the specific incidents you described to the examiner.

(Buddy statements, pictures, incident records, G&R documents, etc.) When a US military aircraft is shot down, crashes, etc. there are records, although they may not be the easiest thing for a veteran to find. Knowing such things as A/C type, "tail number", date, and exact location can be a big help. In the case of G&R field assignments and recovery actions, even the identities can help.

One incident I witnessed in Vietnam (Fall, 1967-68) involved the recovery of the body of a "river rat" boat crew member. The body had been a river for several days, and was not in good condition, to say the least.

At the time, I was part of a ship's bridge watch, so the transfer from the front deck of a boat, using a net and so forth, to a body bag, and then ultimately to a portable morgue was in very clear view from above. I really felt sorry for the ships coreman, since he had to move (manhandle) the decaying corpse into the body bag. The boat crew and the coreman knew the identity, although I did not.

The boat crew then had to scrub the boat deck with an iodine solution that ate the paint (and everything else) off the steel deck, and repaint the deck.

"I witnessed dead bodies smashed in the sand and other unbelievable carnage during that time. I also, was on grave registration detail and witness what appeared to be a dead pilot or tanker in a body bag."

Edited by Chuck75

Thans for the response, the unit I was assigned to had G&R I was told to there by plt sgt to assist with casualty assistance. After what I seen, I left. Went back to my section.Doubt any record

Joker

1320433942' post=262161]

If your military records show that you were assigned to G&R, your statement quoted below is consistent, and I'd not worry to much. If you really want to, you might consider writing a letter to the C&P examiner, explaining the discrepancy between your statement to her vs. the written C&P report. It actually sounds like the examiner might have been trying to help your claim in an offhand way. There are quite a few females serving as tanker crew members.

It is always better to also have some verification of the specific incidents you described to the examiner.

(Buddy statements, pictures, incident records, G&R documents, etc.) When a US military aircraft is shot down, crashes, etc. there are records, although they may not be the easiest thing for a veteran to find. Knowing such things as A/C type, "tail number", date, and exact location can be a big help. In the case of G&R field assignments and recovery actions, even the identities can help.

One incident I witnessed in Vietnam (Fall, 1967-68) involved the recovery of the body of a "river rat" boat crew member. The body had been a river for several days, and was not in good condition, to say the least.

At the time, I was part of a ship's bridge watch, so the transfer from the front deck of a boat, using a net and so forth, to a body bag, and then ultimately to a portable morgue was in very clear view from above. I really felt sorry for the ships coreman, since he had to move (manhandle) the decaying corpse into the body bag. The boat crew and the coreman knew the identity, although I did not.

The boat crew then had to scrub the boat deck with an iodine solution that ate the paint (and everything else) off the steel deck, and repaint the deck.

"I witnessed dead bodies smashed in the sand and other unbelievable carnage during that time. I also, was on grave registration detail and witness what appeared to be a dead pilot or tanker in a body bag."

• HadIt.com Elder

I would just wait for the decision. on my claim. The VA often gets details wrong. I don't know how they do it, but they do it. You say a dead body male/female and their is no dispute about that as far as I know. You were with graves registration. That is enough right there.

John999, thanks for the response, I guess we'll see

Joker

1320436099' post=262164]

I would just wait for the decision. on my claim. The VA often gets details wrong. I don't know how they do it, but they do it. You say a dead body male/female and their is no dispute about that as far as I know. You were with graves registration. That is enough right there.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck on your claim and I don't think gender mistake will affect the decision. Do you have any buddies who knew about the work you did with graves registration.

In WW2 there were 1074 female Military pilots.

In 2008 there were 601 female pilots and the figure has probably grown since then.It could have been a female pilot.

However

"I also, was on grave registration detail and witness what appeared to be a dead pilot or tanker in a body bag.

This image was one of my stressors I am claiming."

I know 2 G &R vets with PTSD.

In your case,based on what you posted here, I think this stressor will be problematic.

Do you have other stressors that you can verify?