VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Up To 90%

Rate this question

billy2

Question

Yesterday I received my packet from the VA. I was rated at 50% for PTSD along with other issues for a total of 80%.

I received 10% for IHD, two increases for PN to 20% for each leg and 70% for PTSD.The effective date was 6/30/09.

I was denied IU because I didn't show that I was unable to secure or follow substantially gainful occupation.

I retired 3 years ago from the PO, which some of the members can relate too. I thought that a rating of 70% assigned for

occupational and social impairment,with deficiencies in most areas, such as work.etc would make my case for IU easier.

The PTSD, DMll, PN, and the IHD would make gainful employment difficult. I think I qualify for IU but the fact that I retired

from the PO hurt my case because I didn't have a bad work history. My wife said let it go because I'm lucky to have

90%. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Bill

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should get a medical statement that says you can't work due solely to your SC conditions. Did you take disability retirement or regular retirement?

John

I took regular retirement and I was SC for DM2 and PN at 50%

I put in a claim for those other things as I was getting out.

I had heart issues and was told I had PTSD at the VA so

the claims followed my retirement. I'm sure the PTSD

was there since I left Nam but I didn't know what it was.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

John gave excellent advice. Now JMHO in language the VA thinks in-they don't give a rats butt if you retire from a job & have 75 VA connected issues. If you didn't get the doctors statement & apply for TDIU using that statment you can stay 90% the rest of your life. I talk mean but I'm just trying to help.

Good Luck,

Don

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has a vocational rehabilitation program. The counselor can say that you are not a candidate, due to your disabilities.

This more or less translates into IU, and the VA recognizes that. This may be the low cost way, and may avoid IMO costs.

When you say that you are receiving "regular" SSA retirement, and not SSDI, you are implying that you are at least 65 or more.

If you wish to go this route, with or without medical opinions (IMOs, etc.) the web address below is a place to start.

Some areas have convenient access to this VA program, others do not.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm

Remember to NOD within the year time limit, if that's what you end up having to do. You can also ask for reconsideration.

Yesterday I received my packet from the VA. I was rated at 50% for PTSD along with other issues for a total of 80%.

I received 10% for IHD, two increases for PN to 20% for each leg and 70% for PTSD.The effective date was 6/30/09.

I was denied IU because I didn't show that I was unable to secure or follow substantially gainful occupation.

I retired 3 years ago from the PO, which some of the members can relate too. I thought that a rating of 70% assigned for

occupational and social impairment,with deficiencies in most areas, such as work.etc would make my case for IU easier.

The PTSD, DMll, PN, and the IHD would make gainful employment difficult. I think I qualify for IU but the fact that I retired

from the PO hurt my case because I didn't have a bad work history. My wife said let it go because I'm lucky to have

90%. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Bill

Guest terrysturgis

billy2, I would recommend you get an attorney that specializes in veterans law to help you win your benefits. Do a search for Nova lawyers or veteran's benefits lawyers. My daughter is 90% sc and she is using an attorney out of Syracuse, NY.

I have a hard time understanding how someone that is 90% disabled and 10% good could be expected to hold a job that pays gainful wages. Good luck.