VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Up To 90%

Rate this question

billy2

Question

Yesterday I received my packet from the VA. I was rated at 50% for PTSD along with other issues for a total of 80%.

I received 10% for IHD, two increases for PN to 20% for each leg and 70% for PTSD.The effective date was 6/30/09.

I was denied IU because I didn't show that I was unable to secure or follow substantially gainful occupation.

I retired 3 years ago from the PO, which some of the members can relate too. I thought that a rating of 70% assigned for

occupational and social impairment,with deficiencies in most areas, such as work.etc would make my case for IU easier.

The PTSD, DMll, PN, and the IHD would make gainful employment difficult. I think I qualify for IU but the fact that I retired

from the PO hurt my case because I didn't have a bad work history. My wife said let it go because I'm lucky to have

90%. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Bill

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think you all need to do some reading in the IU rating part. When someone retires due to age ie. regular retirement than IU will not be so easy to get, with out looking it up in the M21-1, I think you can not as he took the regular retirement.

There are a lot to the the IU.

John

I took regular retirement and I was SC for DM2 and PN at 50%

I put in a claim for those other things as I was getting out.

I had heart issues and was told I had PTSD at the VA so

the claims followed my retirement. I'm sure the PTSD

was there since I left Nam but I didn't know what it was.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

As the only vet at HADIT that's never hired an attorney, at times I just wonder if we need to tell every vet to hire an attorney. People give excellent advice at this site & many have been successful with VA Claims. Just thinking out loud..if I can ask a VA shrink to write that I can't work & get it approved for TDIU, am I the only person in the USA that has used a VAMC wrtie up to get TDIU. Had several doctors to tell me to retire & I actually put them off & when I could go no longer I called one of them, got write up,, sent that with two other write ups to VARO, had TIDU in short time. Sorry if I vent, I want this vet & all vets to get the max that they can get.

Good Luck,

Don

Guest terrysturgis

Two things from billy2's first post stick out to me. He has 50% PTSD and his wife says "let it go, be happy with 90%". IMHO I feel that he has given up and could use a little help winning his claim. We all know the difference money wise between 90 and 100 percent. It's been my experience that veterans with PTSD have a harder time fighting the system then those of us who do not have it. Veterans attornies work pro bono, so it only cost if you win.

In the day when evandc and I won we could not hire an attorney so if we didn't do it ourself it did not get done. I give credit to HADIT (Terry) and my friend Berta for helping me win.

PS, never let anyone give up! Terry