VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Dog Agency

Rate this question

chinavet

Question

The more I have thought about service dogs, the more I am sure I want one regardless of the VA decision. I think it would change my life.

I cannot be in places with lots of people, cannot walk over pedestrian overpasses, have to leave movies to get re-grounded and get through a panic attack and so on...

Any suggestions for a good agency?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The big thing lately has been: "Are you that bad?"

They don't know how much I hold in and how stressful going out can be.

I spoke to Patriot Dogs today. Super nice people!!

They are so kind and supportive. I hope they accept me.

• Founder

I went through Support Dogs in St Louis http://supportdogs.org/ I've had my interviews and got all my paperwork in, it takes up to a year to place a dog with you so I am on the waiting list I am hoping by summer of next year I will have a doggy.

Pete is right there are interviews and paperwork and when they find a dog a two week training period. I am very anxious to receive my doggy, life is getting tougher for me and I am very hopeful having a buddy will help me get out of the house among other things.

Support Dogs was great and very understanding and I could tell they really cared about their dogs and their clients.

My twin brother is also going to be using patriot. He met some guys in Utah when he was in a PTSD clinc there that had dogs from them. I didn't have to wait a year to get my dog. She was already my pet and I had her trained to be a service dog through the organization that i went through - Canine Angels - which services our area locally. It's the same thing though - I had to fill out an application, get references, they did the interview, and came to my house to check it out. The training was the fun part as the master trainer would come to my house with his pack of dogs and would show my dog the lesson and teach me what to do, then I would work on it with my dog. So she is taylored just for me - she is a pit bull, so she was a little hard headed at some of the training but once we got it rolling, she picked it up very fast. I cried when she passed all of her tests.

@ Tbird...WOW a year??? that's a long time! Is it just the org? Having a dog certainly helps me get out and about. There is no words that i can use to describe how my dog has helped me and continues to do so every day.

• Founder

yep, it's up to a year, it can happen faster, but they say the general rule is up to 1 year. I got approved in July so I am hoping by next July I will have my buddy. A year is a long time to wait for sure, but for several reasons this seemed the best option for me. You can hire them to train your dog also.

My twin brother is also going to be using patriot. He met some guys in Utah when he was in a PTSD clinc there that had dogs from them. I didn't have to wait a year to get my dog. She was already my pet and I had her trained to be a service dog through the organization that i went through - Canine Angels - which services our area locally. It's the same thing though - I had to fill out an application, get references, they did the interview, and came to my house to check it out. The training was the fun part as the master trainer would come to my house with his pack of dogs and would show my dog the lesson and teach me what to do, then I would work on it with my dog. So she is taylored just for me - she is a pit bull, so she was a little hard headed at some of the training but once we got it rolling, she picked it up very fast. I cried when she passed all of her tests.

@ Tbird...WOW a year??? that's a long time! Is it just the org? Having a dog certainly helps me get out and about. There is no words that i can use to describe how my dog has helped me and continues to do so every day.

The folks in Denver can work pretty quickly. But you need to commit to 3 weeks of co-training with the dog.

They put a lot of emphasis on proper category your dog. I like that. I'll keep you posted on timelines!