VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing An Inital Claim From 1965

Rate this question

usmcgirl

Question

this is a question on behalf of my dad that i don't know the answer to...

He got out of the Army in 1965, he never filed a claim through the VA for benefits or did any of the paper work of any kind. is it too late for him to do so? can he even get his service medical/dental records from that far back he wants to know? is it even possible for him to get service connected for injuries he had so long ago to things he has going on present day?

thank you

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

USMC GIRL... Glad to hear you filed the claim. Now within about two to three weeks, the VA will send you a nice letter asking you/your dad for more information; and no doubt include a bunch of forms to fill out.

A suggestion for you is that when you get the forms to fill out, visit the web site... www.va.gov most if not all the forms can be filled out on line and printed for you to submit to the va.

To find the forms.....once on VA's website, click Veterans Services, under Health & Well Being, Click A-Z Health Topic Finder, Click Letter "F" then click Forms VA you can then find the form by Number or topic.

Keep us posted and good luck....

What state do you live in?

Tom

Tom,

My dad sends his thanks and respect!

I am familiar with the VA site and have used the fillable forms in the past for my own claims. His are tough since I am not familiar with issues that aren't my own (medically speaking) and since it is dealing with a different time frame era which is tricky for me to navigate with him. As a family we are very patriotic..I am a triplet, and the only daughter. I did 10 years in the Marines, my youngest brother went to the Army, and my middle brother out of us 3 is still currently special forces in the Air Force going on 14 years. Dad didn't think he ever rated anything - which is why he never thought to file or try to. I have no idea where to even start to look for his records other then the national personal, hospitals, clinics and the like he's been to since. But - like you said it's a start. And researching the topics on here and reaching out to members on here certainly help. When this claim comes back if all else fails and we get enough rounds down range from records I will march him down to the DAV and see what they tell him also. - we live in Myrtle Beach. oh....Happy Birthday Brother! you look good for 236! SF

USMC Girl...Ditto back to your dad and family... Thanks for sharing your family history. I'm originally from Oil City,Pa. now living in Las Vegas. I did 4yrs. in the USMC....

While you are concerned with your fathers past records, I think the VA will be able to locate a few of them. In the end, what it will all boil down to is when they schedule him for his C&P exam.

Once he has his C&P, then VA will rate him.

Happy B-Day to you also!!!

Semper Fi!!

Tom

Tom,

My dad sends his thanks and respect!

I am familiar with the VA site and have used the fillable forms in the past for my own claims. His are tough since I am not familiar with issues that aren't my own (medically speaking) and since it is dealing with a different time frame era which is tricky for me to navigate with him. As a family we are very patriotic..I am a triplet, and the only daughter. I did 10 years in the Marines, my youngest brother went to the Army, and my middle brother out of us 3 is still currently special forces in the Air Force going on 14 years. Dad didn't think he ever rated anything - which is why he never thought to file or try to. I have no idea where to even start to look for his records other then the national personal, hospitals, clinics and the like he's been to since. But - like you said it's a start. And researching the topics on here and reaching out to members on here certainly help. When this claim comes back if all else fails and we get enough rounds down range from records I will march him down to the DAV and see what they tell him also. - we live in Myrtle Beach. oh....Happy Birthday Brother! you look good for 236! SF

Carlie,

He choose to file for crushing his hand - arthritis. Tearing his knee ligaments (ACL, PCL, MCL) . Back issues (ruptured disks). Depression. Asbestos - Breathing and heart related issues.

Congrats on your battle win! I am utterly aghast that it took that long and I am super duper excited for you!!!!!!!!! ;)

usmc,

What issues did you file for ?