• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

•  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

autumn

"intervetebral Disc Syndrome" Vs "lumbosacral Strain"

Question

would anyone know what is the difference in rating/pay between these two:

"intervetebral disc syndrome" vs "lumbosacral strain" or "back strain"?

mil medically discharged me with herniated disks

a few months later, VA switched it to back strain

over the years i have yet to have mri's that showed anything but bulging disks, severe degenerative disease, radiculopathy.

so would "back strain" be correct or would "intervetebral disc syndrome" with regards to correct rating?

5237 is the code for strain. Now you are better off not being rated for IVDS as a higher rating requires frequent episodes of bed rest. As far as strain goes, the regs state to rate each effected nerve separately. That may work in your favor.

IVDS Rating code is 5241.

J

Ad

5237 is the code for strain. Now you are better off not being rated for IVDS as a higher rating requires frequent episodes of bed rest. As far as strain goes, the regs state to rate each effected nerve separately. That may work in your favor.

IVDS Rating code is 5241.

J

having MS too, bed rest is quite a daily thing, most days. hmm, the nerve thing, i guess that could be in my favor. i have a IMO that states i have some neuro deficits due to the lumbar and cervical areas. though VA has a different take. recently submitted new documentation and old documentation for increase claim.

this will be the 4th claim in 23 years for this particular set of issues. though a first with outside IMO's (never knew i could do that until a few years ago).

so that is why i asked. honestly, i don't want to split hairs with VARO on this, just to get the most correct code(s) for me.

just make clear, 4th claim, being previous 3 were denied.

My initial rating in 1986 call my problem a chronic lumbosacral strain under 5295.

In 1998 the va changed the diagnosis to low back strain ,degenerative disc disease , left foot drop under 5293

The latest va papers indicate it is rated under 5243 but still rated as low back strain, with degenerative disc disease and foot drop. ( I am rated under the previous rating guidelines)

The codes seem to change as the rating guide changes and as the disease progresses and results in a new diagnosis.

lumbosacral Strains,is rated under 5237 and it appers also under code 5320

Under the present rating guidelince siatiac pain and other related nerve problems are rated using the guidelines for Neurological conditions starting at the 8000 codes....

Edited by Teac

My initial rating in 1986 call my problem a chronic lumbosacral strain under 5295.

In 1998 the va changed the diagnosis to low back strain ,degenerative disc disease , left foot drop under 5293

The latest va papers indicate it is rated under 5243 but still rated as low back strain, with degenerative disc disease and foot drop. ( I am rated under the previous rating guidelines)

The codes seem to change as the rating guide changes and as the disease progresses and results in a new diagnosis.

lumbosacral Strains,is rated under 5237 and it appers also under code 5320

Under the present rating guidelince siatiac pain and other related nerve problems are rated using the guidelines for Neurological conditions starting at the 8000 codes....

thanks, & sorry for taking so long to get back.

i was hospitalized last summer with foot drop -- didn't realize that was ratable. glad you mentioned it. of course, no one seems to be able to tell me if it is my spine or ms that is causing the foot drop. LOL

look like the codes are correct then for the current guidelines. i'm so skeptical of the va system