VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"intervetebral Disc Syndrome" Vs "lumbosacral Strain"

Rate this question

autumn

Question

would anyone know what is the difference in rating/pay between these two:

"intervetebral disc syndrome" vs "lumbosacral strain" or "back strain"?

mil medically discharged me with herniated disks

a few months later, VA switched it to back strain

over the years i have yet to have mri's that showed anything but bulging disks, severe degenerative disease, radiculopathy.

so would "back strain" be correct or would "intervetebral disc syndrome" with regards to correct rating?

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2011 at 10:50 AM, autumn said:

would anyone know what is the difference in rating/pay between these two:

"intervetebral disc syndrome" vs "lumbosacral strain" or "back strain"?

mil medically discharged me with herniated disks

a few months later, VA switched it to back strain

over the years i have yet to have mri's that showed anything but bulging disks, severe degenerative disease, radiculopathy.

so would "back strain" be correct or would "intervetebral disc syndrome" with regards to correct rating?

Edited by cwatson
I and he above have both a bulging disc and IDS so i thought that we could add both as 5237-5242?

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2011 at 2:40 PM, autumn said:

having MS too, bed rest is quite a daily thing, most days. hmm, the nerve thing, i guess that could be in my favor. i have a IMO that states i have some neuro deficits due to the lumbar and cervical areas. though VA has a different take. recently submitted new documentation and old documentation for increase claim.

this will be the 4th claim in 23 years for this particular set of issues. though a first with outside IMO's (never knew i could do that until a few years ago).

so that is why i asked. honestly, i don't want to split hairs with VARO on this, just to get the most correct code(s) for me.

As I have indicated earlier this morning I have DDD or IVDS which I read means that I suffer with a neurological compression caused by the bulging disc on an exit nerve or rated as a lumbosacral muscle strain. My neurological compression has caused Sciatica in both of my feet.

I asked for a higher rating because of the Sciatica and I was told that I can get it because it is really Spinal Stenosis and Sciatica which can raise a rating. Am I or our they correct? 

• HadIt.com Elder

5237 is the code for strain. Now you are better off not being rated for IVDS as a higher rating requires frequent episodes of bed rest. As far as strain goes, the regs state to rate each effected nerve separately. That may work in your favor.

IVDS Rating code is 5241.

J

5237 is the code for strain. Now you are better off not being rated for IVDS as a higher rating requires frequent episodes of bed rest. As far as strain goes, the regs state to rate each effected nerve separately. That may work in your favor.

IVDS Rating code is 5241.

J

having MS too, bed rest is quite a daily thing, most days. hmm, the nerve thing, i guess that could be in my favor. i have a IMO that states i have some neuro deficits due to the lumbar and cervical areas. though VA has a different take. recently submitted new documentation and old documentation for increase claim.

this will be the 4th claim in 23 years for this particular set of issues. though a first with outside IMO's (never knew i could do that until a few years ago).

so that is why i asked. honestly, i don't want to split hairs with VARO on this, just to get the most correct code(s) for me.