VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"intervetebral Disc Syndrome" Vs "lumbosacral Strain"

Rate this question

autumn

Question

would anyone know what is the difference in rating/pay between these two:

"intervetebral disc syndrome" vs "lumbosacral strain" or "back strain"?

mil medically discharged me with herniated disks

a few months later, VA switched it to back strain

over the years i have yet to have mri's that showed anything but bulging disks, severe degenerative disease, radiculopathy.

so would "back strain" be correct or would "intervetebral disc syndrome" with regards to correct rating?

Not necessarily, I have foot drop and spinal issues lumbar, cervical and left hip and bilateral sciatica in both legs, residuals of injury to left foot and I have left foot drop. The podiatrist or PCP at the VA has yet to tell me what is causing my foot drop. They treat it and I have all sorts of prosthetics. Yet the VA most recently increased my foot rating from 20% to 30% and said although it was severe that 30% was enough for severe symptoms such as foot drop. They denied my loss of use of that foot and although it is not equal to that of an amputee. I have loss of use as with function. My foot stays swollen, different temperatures, and dropped and in severe stabbing pain when I attempt to weight bear at all on it. It is also partially numb and feels like half of my underfoot is asleep. So between the numbness and pain and loss of function, I still did not get any special anything (no K) and I did get 30% and stated for severe symptoms. I drag my left foot and left leg If I attempt to step just two steps, the leg is very weak. So not necessarily that with foot drop they will automatically give you loss of use or 40% or special K.

>>> seems to me that if you were not granted loss of use.. someone at the va may not have done their job.... I think You should be seeing a neurologist for the dropfoot not a foot or PCP doctor.t seems to me that if you were not granted loss of use.. someone at the va may not have done their job.... I think You should be seeing a neurologist for the dropfoot not a foot or PCP doctor.

no question!!!

Agreed, but what it shows you is that "WHAT WE THINK AND WHAT THE VARO DOES ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. This is the second time I have been down this road with them. My point is just because you have foot drop it's not automatic by no means to get LOSS OF USE." I can scan my award letter so you can see the exact wording. They used the quote that says it has to equal to that of an amputee. They also said that the this time the C&P examiner noted that there was no difference in temp. However if they had pulled the records from the podiatrist at the VAMC it would show that there is progress notes stating just that and that was the evidence that I submitted originally. So go figure.

>>> seems to me that if you were not granted loss of use.. someone at the va may not have done their job.... I think You should be seeing a neurologist for the dropfoot not a foot or PCP doctor.t seems to me that if you were not granted loss of use.. someone at the va may not have done their job.... I think You should be seeing a neurologist for the dropfoot not a foot or PCP doctor.

no question!!!

I did go from 20% to 30% and they notes the seriousness of the foot drop which they agreed in the award letter that I suffer from foot drop. Now anybody that has severe foot drop knows how much function your left with is usually not enough to propell yourself forward without dragging or falling.

Agreed, but what it shows you is that "WHAT WE THINK AND WHAT THE VARO DOES ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. This is the second time I have been down this road with them. My point is just because you have foot drop it's not automatic by no means to get LOSS OF USE." I can scan my award letter so you can see the exact wording. They used the quote that says it has to equal to that of an amputee. They also said that the this time the C&P examiner noted that there was no difference in temp. However if they had pulled the records from the podiatrist at the VAMC it would show that there is progress notes stating just that and that was the evidence that I submitted originally. So go figure.

i can't figure with the VA/RO, honestly, my whole mood changes when discussing them and not in a funny manner either. consequences of years of dealing with them and being ill at the same time.

no need to scan it, i have a few like it.

i've had to spend 1000's to get outside VA, honest/factual, doctor statements just to counter the VA doctors. too bad, but this is more widespread than not. so its not just a local VA issue. must be basically national.

haven't had the temp thing done but did get emg type test done outside VA. test returned severe nerve damage. the VA neuro dept has canceled 4 appts since i was in the hospital last summer for foot drop/ms episode. do they do that so no one can say its spine or MS in my case? i wonder.

had to get a patient advocate to get a foot brace as no one in neuro would write a Rx for it. PCP wrote the Rx for brace via advocate request. i only say this, just to put it out there for others to see they are not alone in dealing with the bizarro world of VA. it is simply facts.

submitted the med evidence to RO like you, though a decision hasn't been returned yet.

whew!!, boggles my mind you are going through this, really.

i hope all the new vets coming back will Occupy VA/RO and bring these matters to the public once again. the VA process isn't getting better, its getting worse. i sure don't see anyone listening in DC. well, a few do in my case its that the VA doesn't listen to them. lol

if you have not done so, and if you can, just a suggestion, get an outside VA medical opinion to give you some ammo to counter the VA -- so far, that has been the only thing that remotely has helped me get the VA to do the "right thing", and they fought that tooth and nail. and they have a long way to go still.