VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Respiratory Disability To Include Asthma And Copd

Rate this question

ammodad

Question

my question is will they rate them both as one claim or separately because they both are separately diseases found out they have remanded the sinusitis but are going ahead and rating the asbestos exposure for the copd and asthma i could have sworn the guy at va told me they were counting them both as one or rating them both as one is that possible or will they both be rated separately is there any way to find out when asking them at the va they suddenly get forgetful or their computers are down and they can only see what you just mentioned.

and in the event they do rate them both as one how would they decide the percentage i know whey have a rating procedure they use or a way of doing things

Edited by ammodad

Your rating will be based on your results of a PFT.

To get 100 percent you need real low PFT readings or Be on 02 or Right side Heart Failure (Cor Pumonole) or Pulmonary HTN and I promise you Brother you dont want the last 2 conditions.

Basser

Not trying to be nit picky, but with COPD a finding of right ventricular hypertrophy will get you the 100% also(but not Asthma). It is an important distinction. I have right ventricular hypertrophy(on ECG), but do not have a medical diagnosis of Core Pumonole. I have SC for arthritis and lumbosacral/cervical strain with kyphoscoliosis on x-ray and MRI and am fighting for the Respiratory service connection for a seperate 100% under kyphoscoliosis with right ventricular hypertrophy. My PFT's are un-remarkable, but the ratings schedule does not require a bad PFT in conjunction with RVH.

If Ammodad has right ventricular hypertophy or is on O2 and can prove/or has service connection for COPD he should be rated under that code instead of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea does not get the 100% rating for O2 or RVH.

Best regards,

Edited by 71M10

• HadIt.com Elder

I left the RVH out.

Oh well cant win them all can we.

Your spine rating should due to respitory insufficiency.

Mine is related to the Cervical spine. Nerve Paralysis. Diaphragm.

My problem is Pulmonary HTN.

Good Luck on your claim.

Basser

I left the RVH out.

Oh well cant win them all can we.

Your spine rating should due to respitory insufficiency.

Mine is related to the Cervical spine. Nerve Paralysis. Diaphragm.

My problem is Pulmonary HTN.

Good Luck on your claim.

Basser

Patiently waiting, they are just about out of dodges and will soon have to address the issue. They screwed up because all of it was listed as evidence in prior decisions.

ammodad,

This is late but if you are still waiting for your decision, Teac and jbasser are correct. All of those conditions; sleep apnea 6847, dyspnea (a symptom), asthma 6602 and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 6604, will be rated together and you will get the highest from all conditions. Usually based on the results of a PTF pulmonary function test. So you are not maxed at 50% for sleap apnea, you may rate higher for your COPD.

hello , once again. just got back from va exam feb 27th for sinusitus and Allergic rhinitis. they approved my claim for the asthma and copd do to asbestos exposure now awaiting rating on the sinus and rhinitus portion now that i am at the 70 % was tryin to figure next posible rating withthem thats kind of hard to do thanks for all of you guys support and knowledge it means allot and i truely mean that without you guys would have freaked out along time ago and my wife thanks you all also if we stand as one they cant iggnor us

My question is why wasn't I rated with both COPD and Asthma in 1992 when diagnosed? Also any other insights into this situation would be appreciated. I have yet to file a nod etc.. Just trying to figure out where I'm at. Thanks

My Compensation was raised from 10% to 60%, going from just a 10% asthma rating to a combined rating of asthma/COPD 60%.

Asthma was diagnosed in 1988 two years prior to discharge with an ICD code of 493..90.

COPD was diagnosed in 1992 with an ICD code of 496.

This C & P exam was the first time I had ever heard COPD mentioned during the exam. I cannot find it in my medical records but the information was noted that it was taken from my C-File.

PFT results from C & P April 5, 2012

Pre-bonchodilator: Post-bronchodilator, if indicated

FVC: 70 % predicted FVC: 84 % predicted

FEV-1: 60 % predicted FEV-1: 74 % predicted

FEV-1/FVC: 78 % predicted FEV-1/FVC 68 % predicted

DLCO: 102 % predicted DLCO: % predicted

For this C & P they used the FEV-1% Predicted to determine level of disability.

As far as Medications: Oral or parenteral corticosteroid medication. (intermittent), inhalation bronchodilator therapy daily, anti-inflamatory medication daily, albuterol, Symbicort, Albuterol nebulizer as well as oral bronchodilators daily.

If anyone could shed any light on this information or explain why I did not have a combined rating since 1992 I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Edited by casscntyman