VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's Next

Rate this question

chiefhouse00

Question

Greetings

After a long wait (since 30 Nov 2004), I received a 10% rating for each leg/foot numbness problem but denied for my arms/hands...here are the results (short version):

"Lower Extremity: Service connection for right and left lower extremity neuropathy with decreased sensation as secondary to the service-connected disability of low back pain with mild degenerative changes. The decision is based on information obtained from my VA examination in which examiner opined the neuropathy of the feet and legs is due to degenerative joint disease, foraminal stenosis with secondary radiculopathy. An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned for incomplete paralysys below the knee which is mild.

Upper Extremity: Denied because evidence didn't show the numbness and weakness in hands and arms was related to the service-connected condition of low back pain, nor is there any evidence of this disability during military service. The VA examiner opined that the hand numbness was not due to the low back but due to local neuropathies with median neuorlia noted on EMG."

This latest increase put me at 80% and 10% is for nerve problem with my right arm awarded last year. I have military medical records (including MRI showing C2 thru C6 disk problems) for arm/hand numbness and neck pain dating several years before retirement. Should I have this decision reconsidered?

Also, the VA misplaced my reopen poor eye vision claim data and NOD for Sleep Apnea/Asthma. Neither were in my c-file. I found this out last week when I called about the status on both claims. They said that they never received my eye problem claim. I immediately emailed them a letter they had sent me comfirming receipt of that claim in Feb 06. Tthey ask me to fax the data to them again...which I did. I got a call yesterday from the VA stating that my NOD for sleep anpea/asthma claim is now with a rater and the eye problem data will be put in my C-file, and to call back within 45 days if I have not heard from them.

What should I now expect?

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Edited by chiefhouse00

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Guest jangrin

Chiefhouse00,

"Upper Extremity: Denied because evidence didn't show the numbness and weakness in hands and arms was related to the service-connected condition of low back pain, nor is there any evidence of this disability during military service. The VA examiner opined that the hand numbness was not due to the low back but due to local neuropathies with median neuorlia noted on EMG."

I understand how the hand/arm numbness is not related to the condition of low back. But hand/arm IS related to cervical disc problems. Disc buldging, foraminal encrouchment, calcification (arthritis), just to name a few MRI type findings that would support cervical condition resulting in the symptoms you are experiencing.

Did the medical records contain the cervical MRI report, and did they also have the SMR"s showing treatment for the neck area and hand/arm numbness. If they did I think this may be grounds for CUE regarding this hand/arm numbness. You need to check with one of the "hadit elders" (Berta, Carli, John999, Vike17, wings, etc.) They will be able to direct you more. I think your post got buried under a lot of new posts. Hopefully this will bring you to the top of the board and you can get more imput.

Hope this works for you.

Jangrin :(

Edited by jangrin

Chiefhouse

Were you ever exposed to agent orange and do you have DMII?

Greetings

I'm borderline Diabetic (Glucose 2hour PT 75G was 166 mg/dL, Glucose Fast was 87.0 mg/dL, HGBAIC was 6.1). I spent one day in Nam and several months in Thailand in 1969 -70 timeframe.

My Current Service Connected Rated Medical Conditions:

Hypertension, Asthmatic Bronchitis, Sinusitis, Hepatitis C, Skin Rash, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Degenerative (Lowe Back) disk disease, PN Lower extremities, and Right Arm Nerve Damage

Neck Stiffness (Denied) twice: During the C& P Examination, the X-ray taken of my cervical spine (neck) was normal and other assessments (range of motion, flexion, extensions, rotation) of my neck indicated normal limits. As a result, my neck stiffness problem was assessed as a “cervical strain” which resulted in denial of disability compensation

My recent MRI and medical records show that I have a degenerative disk disease (C3-4 and C4-5) that contacts and deforms the anterior surface of the spinal cord and central disk protrusion. This debilitating disease is the primary cause of constant my neck pain, soreness, and stiffness. STILL DENIED

Medical Records

USAF Hospital, Chanute AFB: 22 Nov 1969

USAF Hospital, CCK: 24 Mar 1970, 22 May 1970

USAF Hospital, Langley AFB: 13 Apr 1984

Strategic Hospital, Minot AFB: 13 Jul 1990

Walson AF Hospital, Ft Dix: 12 Jun 1996

Walter Reed Medical Center, DC: 18 Jun 2001

Dewitt Medical Center, Ft Belvior: 3 Jun 2001, 12 Oct 2001, 29 Jul 2004

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Edited by chiefhouse00