VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nightmares

Rate this topic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Family!

NJ: Thanks for the details. It really helps put things in perspective. I hope it doesn't come to that (EMTs in my house) to get this under some sort of control. Could it really be that simple?? I'll give it my best and see what happens. Also, I did note that my family doc had "PTSD" written in my record, and I've requested copies of my MH record for a claim that's languishing in the pile. I asked that the records be sent to me so I can highlight and forward for the claim. Maybe then, I can get a real look at what the psych has written. Again, many thanks & Happy Thanksgiving.

Carlie, It is so sad 14 pills a day from the VA and they only rate me at 60%, my last claim for an increase and TDIU the c&p doc wrote 1-3 mets for my Chronic Cad,

So hopefully I will finally see 100% P&T, but the wait just kills you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Family

Lots of pills.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I found that turning off the TV and getting away from the computer during the hour before going to bed can help. Falling asleep listening to the sounds of ocean waves or thunderstorms, basically things which are relaxing, can help too. I have an electronic 'wave machine' which makes that possible. Also, with the doctors help, finding the right sleep and heartburn medication can help too. Sometimes it is trial and error, but trying to relax yourself ahead of time may also help relax your mind.

• HadIt.com Elder

Justlurk

Do you have sleep apnea? I know when you come off pills you will have nightmares. You need REM sleep and you will get it even if it is bad. I have some very vivid nightmares. The only good thing is I am young in my dreams and have no trouble fighting for my life.

Yes she wakes me up in a non tramatic way. When I start tossing and turning or screaming or any kind of disturbance she will nuzzle me by my ribs with her nose or paw my feet and whine. Then she will sit next to me and lean in to me letting me feel her so I know I am not alone and that it's ok. You should check in to it. There are plenty of organizations out there that will train service dogs and give them away free of charge to veterans. that's how I got mine. She goes with me everywhere as my PTSD is severe. But it's really amazing what a calming affect a dog will have over your well being. Before I couldn't even go out in public except for the most basic of things. Now I can go out.

check out www.patriotpaws.org should you decide to go that way it's a great organization and it will get you familiar with the process and training. every organization is different. i went through canine angels. but the outcome is still the same. the VA only offers perscriptions for i think 500 vets to get service dogs a year. Once you meet with a trainer you can tell them your specific needs (much like the Depends issue) and your dog can even help you out there also. along with many other things. Hope that helps you out :)

Thanks so much for the responses. The problem is (not trying to see only the negative) is that I work and get up early for the commute. If I even go to bed an hour later than normal, I oversleep (even with TWO alarms and my spouse pushing me out of bed) due to meds/bad nights. I've hit her a few times as well, and being a black belt in TKD, wasn't kind about it (I guess). I really could have hurt her had it not been for the covers dragging me down. I have animals, but have never considered a service dog. Might look into that.

usmcgirl: how does the dog actually help? Does it wake you up/out of your dream?? Sounds intriguing.

NJBB62: I've had years of therapy, and also see a psychiatrist. I take 3 meds for bipolar, sleep disorders, migraines, etc. from TBI. If you've never been over-medicated while you sleep, I can't explain how embarrassing it is to have needed Depends (sorry for being graphic) and having an "accident" because you can't wake yourself up to go to the restroom. Needless to say, this doesn't help my case for keeping my wife in the same room with me at night... SO it seems my choices are a) continue with the status-quo and get separate beds/bedrooms so she can sleep, or b) over-medicate, wear protective night-ware and hope I wake up when I'm supposed to. Not how I saw my life at 46 years old, but I guess that goes for all on these forums.

I realize as I'm writing this that my primary concern wasn't even how to claim these issues, but just to find a way out of the hole. I guess this is a good thing? Still at the end of my rope on this, and with a long weekend coming up will get less sleep. Maybe usmcgirl, I can try your approach and see what happens since I don't have to be anywhere in the mornings. I'll let you know.