Sponsored Ads

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Advertisemnt

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  
motomoon

Stresser Evidence Ptsd - Mst

Question

Hi, this is my first post ever and I have a question, but here is some background info:

I received a general under honorable discharge for MMD in 2008 and filed a claim for PTSD / MST & Depression this July. I have depression and a hospitalization for severe post-partum depression (The baby was born 13 months after the assault but is my husband's) documented in my service treatment records but unfortunately did not report my MST. I've been going for counseling at the VAMC, am diagnosed with PTSD due to MST and MDD and have just started PET.

I didn't do or submit anything for my claim until last week when they called to schedule a C&P exam. I'm pretty stressed because the process has moved so quickly (I know many vets wait forever and it's a silly thing to be stressed about) So I went down to the DAV and was assigned a service rep... I gave him a statement I wrote (think it's called a stresser letter) and discussed my concern that the claim is this far along without me having submitted any evidence.

He looked in the computer and said my C-File has been sent to the C&P examiner and read off what sounded like a time-line of my claim:

(Dates may not be exact)

**July 21 - Claim Filed

**July 29 - Acknowledgment letter sent w/ request for more info

**Aug 15 - DD214 Received

**Oct 26 - Service Treatment Records received and Evidence of Stresser

**Nov 14 - C&P exam scheduled

So finally, here's my QUESTION:

Is there any significance to the phrase "Service Treatment Records received and Evidence of Stresser" ? Is this a good sign that they have verified my stressor or does it mean nothing?

I know my claim is with the development team right now... Is there any way to find out what evidence they might have? I didn't think there was anything in my service treatment records and have focused on gathering evidence of behavior changes. The only thing I can think of is 3 months after the assault, I requested a pregnancy test but it was not related and the record also says I requested birth control at the same time. Is it possible for the development team to flag something in my records as evidence only for the rater to look at it later and decide it's irrelevant?

Any thoughts?

Perspective here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Your service medical records should show that your mental health condition started in the military.

Ad

Did you actually get a general discharge for MDD? You should have gotten a medical discharge if that was the only reason for your discharge or if you had that diagnosis upon discharge. Have you ever tried to get your discharge changed to a medical discharge? Was the military saying you were medically unfit for service?

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I was administratively discharged (general under honorable) for MDD. Papers say reason for discharge: Personally Disorder: MDD... "The Marine has a medical condition so severe that it affects ability to function in a military environment." I was in the reserves and the MST happened while on active duty for training (MOS school) One year later, was hospitalized for severe post-partum depression... When my unit found out, I was referred for fitness for duty eval. I continued to drill for 3 years but stayed very depressed then had another baby and never lost the weight... In 2008, was referred for another fitness for duty eval and was recommended for discharge.

you are not alone in NOT reporting an MST case in the Corps sister. As for the stressor. I would have your DAV verify what it was that they flagged. It may be the statement you wrote. If it WAS that pregnancy test for the birth of your child or if it was something else such as a pg 11 during that time frame. So yes it is possible that they flagged it for further development. Is this your inital claim from your EAS? While the VA diagnosed you with PTSD - since you didn't report the MST - you got rated for MMD/depression. the VA will only rate one mental disorder at a time. So are you claiming for PTSD as an increase for the MMD? If that is the case this is going to be a little more complicated then you might think unfortunately.

I did sign a formal counseling chit when the SSGT at MOS school noticed I had gotten so depressed. It's not in my SRB though. Any idea if there is a record of this anywhere else?

Thanks again!

Edited by motomoon