VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Exposure

Here's a letter FULL of links and info on this subject I received...Hope it can help someone:

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

On December 4, 2013 the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry's (ATSDR) "Evaluation of exposure to contaminated drinking water and specific birth defects and childhood cancers at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina: a case--control study" was published (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/update.html). You will receive a hard copy of the ATSDR fact sheet summarizing the results of this study in the mail in the coming weeks.

ATSDR's study evaluated whether or not maternal exposures to drinking water containing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) at Camp Lejeune increased the risk of certain health conditions. The study used ATSDR's previous water modeling efforts to estimate past exposures (http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/watermodeling.html). VOCs were commonly used as solvents for cleaning machinery and weapons, for dry cleaning, and some are found in fuels.

This study is the first of several health initiatives that ATSDR is expected to complete in the next several years. For more information about these studies, visit http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/ or call (800) 232-4636.

Since 1991, the Marine Corps has supported the health initiatives conducted by various scientific agencies. We are also working diligently to identify and notify individuals who, in the past, may have been exposed to the chemicals in drinking water. For more information about these efforts or to update your contact information, please see: http://www.marines.mil/clwater/, call (877) 261-9782 or e-mail clwater@usmc.mil.

For the complete report and for information about studies being conducted by ATSDR, visit http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/ or call (800) 232-4636.

To contact Veterans Affairs to learn more about health care benefits, please visit http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/camp-lejeune/ or call (877) 222-8387 (Healthcare) or (800) 827-1000 (Benefits).

Sincerely,

The Camp Lejeune Historic Drinking Water Program

• 2 weeks later...

I was stationed in Camp Lejeune from 1976 through 1979, and did drink the water, and do suffer from many health issues. My question is, how many of us haven't been exposed to toxic elements at some point in our careers while in the Military, and I don't think that being exposed and soaked in chemicals and dying from diseases from chemicals are two different issues here. This topic here is about people that drank contaminate water not about being soaked in chemicals, what chemicals? I feel that if someone was soaked in deadly chemicals and suffer from that, then you should have that well documented, and able to prove to the VA that you suffer from such health issues and the VA would find in your favor and you would be compensated, if not then you didn't get sick from being soaked in chemicals. This water contamination is no joke, and a lot of people have died from it. I for one am at 100% P&T by the Marine Corps for my Service Connected disabilities, and that's because I was able to prove my case, and very well documented in my health record, not just talked about it. If your'e sick and dying from diseases because you were soaked in chemicals prove it, and I hope you get compensated for it.

Merry Christmas :-)

Edited by aggie54

• 2 weeks later...

I was stationed in Camp Lejeune from 1976 through 1979, and did drink the water, and do suffer from many health issues. My question is, how many of us haven't been exposed to toxic elements at some point in our careers while in the Military, and I don't think that being exposed and soaked in chemicals and dying from diseases from chemicals are two different issues here. This topic here is about people that drank contaminate water not about being soaked in chemicals, what chemicals? I feel that if someone was soaked in deadly chemicals and suffer from that, then you should have that well documented, and able to prove to the VA that you suffer from such health issues and the VA would find in your favor and you would be compensated, if not then you didn't get sick from being soaked in chemicals. This water contamination is no joke, and a lot of people have died from it. I for one am at 100% P&T by the Marine Corps for my Service Connected disabilities, and that's because I was able to prove my case, and very well documented in my health record, not just talked about it. If your'e sick and dying from diseases because you were soaked in chemicals prove it, and I hope you get compensated for it.

Merry Christmas :-)

GREAT COMMENT!! Here's an additional comment I hope gets consideration from all: We must realize that if we (or our families) were injured as a result of service to our country, we should seek and receive compensation from our government. I don't think anyone disagrees with that, right? But we do a disservice to our cause when we selfishly think "our claim" is any more important than the next guy or gals? Regardless of the way the VA prioritizes the claims, ANYONE who has had their life or the life of a loved one changed due to something "service connected" should not have to wait until they are a day closer to their grave. As a veteran community, we should continue to push to for changes in current policy until the VA claim process is improved/expedited. My definition of improvement is total elimination of the infamous backlog through correctly adjudicated claims. I don't care how they do it, just that it gets done! We must be united on that basic premise and leave no one behind or we're just spinning our wheels and accepting the excuses...jmho.

LC

• 1 year later...

I have a friend who is a former Marine that was stationed at Camp Lejeune during the time period of contamination. He has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (which according to my research is a presumptive) by two doctors. One doctor is a General Practitioner and the other a neurologist. Although provided with the information on the contamination the neurologist said he could not write a letter due to his not having knowledge of the effects of or his exposure. He lives in Louisville, KY which is where these claims are being processed. Does anyone know of a doctor in this area who might be familiar with Camp Lejeune diseases contributed to the contamination? Or any other suggestions for obtaining a Nexus letter? Thanks

Dinnard,

Parkinson's disease is an Agent Orange presumptive for Vietnam era veterans. There are no compensable presumptive diseases for veterans exposed to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. There is a list of 15 diseases identified by the VA as possibly related to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune and any veterans or family members who were on base at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between 1953 and 1987 are eligible for VA health benefits but not disability compensation.

GP

Dinnard,

For further clarification, the VA health benefits in my previous post only includes treatment for diseases on the list of 15 diseases.

GP

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use