VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ihd Claim

Rate this question

cbtvet

Question

I have recieved a denial of ihd claim because they determined i have not been "officially diagnosed". They did acknowledge i have a history of chest pain. In my medical history there is a diagnosis of atherosclerosis, 2 ekg's showing past heart attack, high blood pressure, angina upon exertion. stress test revealed center chest pain. plus high colesterol. I was given nitro on my first visit to the va. I guess i made a rookie mistake by thinking they would dig and find this information in my medical history. also i had mentioned at one time i didn't think i had a heart problem. They took that as bible, and pointed it out in the denial letter. Question is how should i proceed.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I think, if you can get a private cardio doctor to diagnose you with IHD and then he/she can fill out the form I posted here,then a reconsideration request would be in order.

But a reconsideration request does NOT stop the NOD clock so if the VA fails to award the request within the year after the denial, then file the NOD.

But you do need the diagnosis. I am baffled why the VA didn't give you a C & P exam.

As Chuck said:

"I'd ask for legal advice as well before I made a decision as to which route to take".

I agree.and with this he said too:

"If you are a veteran that falls under Nehmer, you should also contact the NVLSP"

Is it possible you were treated for heart disease by a different VA and they didn't obtain those records?

"one of the ekg's was done in 05 by a civilian dr."

Did you tell VA to obtain all of your private medical records?

"I guess i made a rookie mistake by thinking they would dig and find this information in my medical history"

The VA doesn't dig for anything in a medical history. They have to have their hand held on that.And if it involves private record, even VA records from a different VA, and even SSA records, this stuff has to be stated to VA that these records exist and where to find them and then followed up on that they actually obtain them.

I have a friend who has had a claim pending for 7-8 years now.He has been denied many times and yet, when I ask him about his SMRs and VA med records he always says- the VA has it all,let them figure it out.

It doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately , this is one reason they keep denying him.If he has in his SMRs what he says he has, he should have succeeded by now.The VA keeps saying his SMRs are silent.

SMRs aren't your problem however, because it looks to me like VA made a decision possibly without having all of your medical records.

They listed what they had under the Evidence Section.

You got a decision that had no medical input from VA (no C & P) so, as Chuck said, this might be a major point of attack -if you get the IHD diagnosis.