VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase Submitted 12/10/10

Rate this question

usmcgirl

Question

Yup...we are approaching the year mark. I have been to all of my appointments, therapy, and group therapy. they have played with my meds countless times. I have no idea if i am coming or going half the time. I don't go out in public unless it is for an appointment or for the most basic of needs and even then it is with my service dog. I have insomnia 3 or 4 days a week. I don't have any contact with anyone other than hadit and my shrink or the people i see weekly in my group. i am going to an intensive inpatient treatment center as soon as they approve the application according to my doc. I called the 1800 number to see what was going on with my claim and it finally moved into decision phase 11/17 after i argued with them that they had infact recieved the hospital records that the RO said they didn't get because the hospital faxed them back in april with a conformation sheet and the jackasses didn't bother to actually read my records. i said to him "i have a copy of my file - which is the same as what you have - so how is it that my copy differs from yours when you are the ones who sent me this file?" So I faxed them myself to the RO just to be sure. I don't understand how these people can sit on something for a year and say they have everything they need then - opps we don't - then kick it back and play the waiting game all over again. i mean we are already hurt...why add insult to injury.Now it will be another 12 months at the raters waiting for them. and this is the 2nd time we are at this phase. last time they kicked it back for needing more evidence for things i didn't even claim on my claim. WTF? i read about other people waiting months and years and that just fills me with more anger and dread.

Edited by usmcgirl

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

usmcgirl - oh sister I do hear you and it sounds all to familiar to me. SSA is tricky because they don't do percentages you either can work or you can't and I mean any kind of work. It sounds like you are agoraphobic, if you are make sure the doctor diagnosis you with it. I am agoraphobic and I go to the Vet Center once a week and doctor's appointments and that's pretty much it. My therapist and I are working on just being able to sit in the backyard for awhile. I was able to do this when I had my doggie, but she passed away in Sept 2010. I am on a waiting list for a service dog and I am hopeful that will allow me a bit to at least walk around the block.

I am in my house pretty much 24/7 just me, hadit.com and my ptsd. I am very encouraged that you are getting into a treatment program, I have talked to some veterans men and women that had some real relief from their symptoms after these programs.

You are a marine, so you know how to hang in. It is tough, heartbreaking and frustration is the plan of the day. I've had the same thing happen to me. Deferred a claim because they say I hadn't had a test that I had a year before. I had request my own copy of the test then sent it to my service officer who walked it over to the regional office and still we wait.

I am very glad you got a service dog they seem to be able to do amazing things to help us. Others with more experience with SSA will jump in to help more.

TBird - I am right there with you with the house hanging out! I hole up in my house and peek out the windows. My dog and my kid go everywhere I have to go for the basic necessities which is limited to the gas station, walmart and the VA. if my kid were old enough i would send her in for the things we need. People stop us and ask about my dog and we basically ignore them as rude as it sounds. it's what i have to do to get in and out with out causing a scene or make a spectical of myself. I am excited for you to get your dog! It makes a huge difference in getting out. Only down side I have found is people (as I too am agoraphobic). On the SSA side of the house - I got a lawyer and am going to see what they have to say. the initial chat via phone was hopeful today.

• Founder

Well the good thing about SSA attorneys they usually work on a contingency basis, so if they don't think your case is a winner you'll know right away.

I wish nothing but the best. One of my biggest concerns about getting a service dog is dealing with people asking me "What's wrong with you?" or some other stupid remark and things will become "unpleasant".

oh yes! people are so ignorant when it comes to that. if they can't see anything physically wrong with you - they ask or assume you are "training" the dog. Fortunately the trainer who trained my pit bull also gave me a slew of lines to tell people. Him, being from NYC, most were sarcasticly humorous but the lines he gave me to combat that aspect work. "yes, i am training it." "it's for seizures", "it's for me and really not any of your business" because if you tell them it's for anxiety or PTSD they want to get into a whole conversation of what it does for you and how it helps. and you will always have the people that want to pet it. i always refuse. even though my pit is the sweetest of the sweet - she is working, not some amusement for passer by's. and they do (the dogs) know the difference when the vest is on - it's work time. when it's off it's play time...But main thing like my trainer told me - do and say what you are comfortable with there is no law that says you have to disclose what it is for, it has a license, a vest, and you are in control of the dog. sounds rude - but it's for a disablity that we have and part of that disablity is not dealing well with people and places out side out "safe spot".:blush:

I really feel for you, but you do not let them win period. I have been waiting since Sept 2010, and have not heard a word. Mine says that my PTSD makes me unemployable, and most likely due to my age, therapy would not help. I did get a call from my Lawyer, and he is going to call the RO to find out for me. I have tried calling, and all I get is "Peggy" (Discovery Card commercial) on the phone.:biggrin:

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

SSDI is a job program for lawyers and administrative judges to keep them from being homeless. The claimants are at the bottom of the list. Same with VA which employs all these raters and judges to eventually give vets what they should have gotten in a couple of months. VBA is a jobs program for ex-insurance claims examiners and lawyers who just could not make it in the real world. How does the BVA and Court of Veteran Appeals justify their existence?......the remand.

On my weekly call to the 1800 (peggy) I was informed yesterday by a very helpful woman that my claim should be done before the end of the month and that it "appears" that they have all the evidence that they need. She was also very nice and went further to explain that this is my 2nd time being at the rating stage for this claim. So everything is as it should be since 1/17/12 would be the 60 day mark that my claim went into rating. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

on a seperate note - I have a meeting with the SSDI lawyers on monday to start that battle of appeals.