VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Psychiatrist Dx Of My Husband - Triggers

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

DH finally got his Progress notes, at least up to the first week of October.

His VA psychiatrist has Dx'd him with Chronic PTSD, as well as OCD and Panic Disorder, and that it's definitely a result of his in-service (Line of Duty, we have the paper to prove it!) MVA where he nearly burned to death.

Here are the Axis's:

Axis I - Post traumatic Stress Disorder, Depressive Disorder NOS

Axis II - Personality Disorder NOS, with dependent traits

Axis III - See past medical history

Axis IV - Stressors include chronic pain stemming from severe burns and chronic psychiatric illness.

Axis V - GAF of 50.

Now I know that Personality Disorder can be very bad, even though we have the military entrance physical report that says he's fit as a fiddle and sound in the noggin.

I think the Personality Disorder has to do with his OCD and the fact that he always wants me in with him during sessions. He clutches my hand the whole time, while he cries, and while he's keeping himself from jumping up and running out the door.

In her notes she writes very frequently about the accident and how his fear and rage and PTSD are clearly from that time, from the long healing process, from the awful years of being a disfigured young man. If anyone were to ask her, she'd give a perfect nexus, just because it's so damn easy to connect these dots.

His VA therapist says the same, chronic PTSD due to trauma in service, Panic disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, etc.

But won't the VA look at the Axis notes first and probably stop there?

Oh, the VA psychiatrist wants him to see a neuropsychologist because she thinks he has TBI from rolling around in a vehicle with no shoulder harness or headrests... ahhh the 70's!! Think that might help his cause? He's scared stiff about this idea, he's afraid they'll find out he's really crazy and he's only just getting used to the idea of PTSD

Please, any thoughts or comments? Thanks!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since he is already SC'ed for the PTSD I would not worry too much about the PD diagnosis. Back in the day I think they DX'ed every vet with a psychiatric problem as having a PD. I still have a PD DX 40 years after I was SC'ed for other psychiatric problems. The VA tried to get my CUE thrown out due to ancient PD DX by some prostitute C&P doctor.

Oh, John, thanks for your reply, but he's not SC'd for anything but the burn scars & the patched up shoulder - he's at 80% for a bunch of 30's & 10's. The PTSD is new, it's even new in his VA treatment records because he just wouldn't talk about how he was traumatized and suffered.

People are so weird. Something any reasonably sensitive human being happens to you that makes them say "HOLY CATS!!!! How did you survive all that???" and you say "Awwwwwww, weren't nuthin. Merely a flesh wound". Or you stare at them dumbfounded because you can't believe you were ever drunk enough to have told somebody anything about it. Then you quickly vacate the area and avoid them for the rest of your life.

My poor darling used to joke how he was a "crispy critter", trying to mention it before anyone else could stare or say something. He thought he was dealing with it just fine. Everyone has nightmares, right? Everyone has physically tortuous flashbacks from bad times,several times a day, right? Everyone leaves the house loaded for bear and with a backup in case a rhino comes along, right? Every adorable, honest, smart, funny, good-looking, loving, better-than-I-ever-believed-walked-this-planet guy lives alone, not one girlfriend, until he's 45, right? Every guy is amazed and brought to tears when a woman says she thinks his body is beautiful, right?

Ummm maybe getting too personal, but you get the picture, right? I just love him so damn much and can't stand the thought of him getting hurt or jerked around. I know for sure I don't deserve him, and I will get all kinds of PTSD postal on anyone who tries to hurt him.

done now. Sorry for the rant.

So do you think the PD will hurt his chance for SC?

I'm kinda all over the place tonight. It's raining here.... I have a tummy ache ( a pox upon IBS.... wait NO!!! DO NOT WANT!!!!!) ^..^

It is possible to have both. You can have PTSD and be shy (which is a personality disorder). To answer you question, no it will not effect the rating for PTSD.

It is possible to have both. You can have PTSD and be shy (which is a personality disorder). To answer you question, no it will not effect the rating for PTSD.

Sharon, thank you twice! Once for putting my mind at ease, and again 'cause I suspect twas you who erased my mindless post! :)

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

IMHO ...

Axis 1 is the most vital to your claim for service-connected PTSD; it states a diagnosis of PTSD so your base is completely covered. The Axis 2 personaly d/o NOS with dependant traits means NOTHING. It's a lame azz diagnosis that some lazy clinician decided to tack on there just to fill in the blanks and prove to themselves they know how to do a Multi-axial diagnosis. Now if the personality d/o was a dangerous one, I might be a little concerned that the VA would pay more attention, but geewiz, dependant personality "traits" ALL disabled vets have that! Honestly, there is NOTHING to worry about --not in this case. If you are the OCD type (as am I), you could rebut that diagnosis from an independant shrink-type person, who would clear that NOS diagnosis, and suggest something like: the patient is totally disabled, and therefore dependant DUH. Sometimes the VA really gripes my azz. You are doing great to help your favorite veteran. HUGS!! ~Wings