VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Switched To Risperidone

Rate this topic

I am being switched to risperidone but haven't started taking it yet. any one have any of the side effects? considering half of my issues are "side effects" listed below - I am pretty skeptical.

Common side effects:

Anxiety; constipation; cough; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; fatigue; headache; increased appetite; increased saliva production; indigestion; lightheadedness; nausea; restlessness; runny nose; stomach pain or upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight gain.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Risperidone:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); abnormal thoughts; confusion; drooling; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; inability to control urination; increased sweating; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, aggression, agitation, depression, severe anxiety); seizures; severe dizziness; stiff or rigid muscles; suicidal thoughts or attempts; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, increased thirst, hunger, or urination; unusual weakness); tremor; trouble concentrating, speaking, or swallowing; trouble sitting still; trouble walking or standing; uncontrolled muscle movements (eg, arm or leg movements, twitching of the face or tongue, jerking or twisting); unusual bruising; vision changes.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think Risperidone is powerful anti-psychotic medication. You probably will have some side effects. It is used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It is not like taking a valium or prozac.

I used to take it and it gave me akethesia at higher doses if I remember correctly so I had to take cogentin or benztropine mesylate along with it. It also made me crave carb loaded junk foods but since I have a high metabolism and workout I didn't gain much weight if any because of that.

I took Risperidone for years...too many! One of the things that I was not informed about, nor remember seeing as warning, until after the fact was that I developed diabetes. That's not to say that I may well have developed, regardless, but after the fact I found out that it is also one of the medicines that carry that risk. I was on it long-term and after the fact, had to get off it. It was a good medicine for the symptoms that I was having, but I wish I'd have known about the risk.

I also take risperidone BUT only when needed, not on a regular basis.

In the past I did take it on a regular daily basis but for only about 6 or 8 months.

All drugs and chemicals have possible side effects but this does not mean at all -

that all people will have all or any of the possible side effects.

Example - if I'm in severe pain, I don't care in the least if I take something and it gives me

blurry vision, slurred speech, the runs, pee all over myself, vomit out of my ear drums, etc. . .

I just don't want severe pain and will take what's necessary to make it bearable.

Some of my Cardiac meds gave me a couple of the rare side effects that were worse than

what the meds were RX'd for - so this was a case where I decided the benefit did not outweigh

the side effects, so I dropped those meds.