VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pyrimiding

Rate this question

wadedenney

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

The first issue that must be addressed is why your high blood pressure (hypertension or HTN) should be service connected. Having a diagnosis does not make it service-connected - what is the connection to your military service? Are you saying that the condition existed on active duty (direct service condition)?

Or, are you saying that one of your service connected conditions caused the HTN? If you go this route, you are going to need a medical opinion that your HTN was caused by your service-connected __________.

In any event, it is possible to have both a rating for a heart condition and a rating for hypertensive vascular disease (Diagnostic Code 7101). However, if you have hypertensive heart disease (DC 7007), you will not receive an additional rating because that is pyramiding.

If I read your post correctly, you are taking medication for HTN, rather than some medication you are taking is causing the HTN ... is that correct? FWIW, taking medication for HTN in and of itself does not warrant compensation. The criteria are at DC 7101, http://www.benefits....ART4/S4_104.DOC .

I currently hold a rating for the Heart, can I get a rating for High Blood presure, due to daily Medication at 10% too, or would that be considered Pyrimiding?

• HadIt.com Elder

I am connected for CAD and hypertension both as secondary to my SC PTSD I had to appeal to the BVA to get it granted though the VARO would not SC so it can be done just make sure you have a doctor showing the nexus to your military service without that they won't grant the 10%

jvretiredvet and testvet, I am 30% for CAD with bypass, and among the many meds. I currently take one is to control my blood pressure which is taken daily. The question arose when I saw in the 24 that you could get 10% for BP if you take medicine daily, but sense it is in the 7000 for CAd and 7100 for vascular I am not sure if it would be Pyrimiding?

I must have been too complete in my earlier post ...

I am not sure if it would be Pyrimiding? If you are service connected for vascular hypertension, it would not ... not ... not ... be a situation of pyramiding.

you could get 10% for BP if you take medicine daily, A 10% evaluation is not automatic if you take medication. Please reread the rating criteria for DC 7101.

jvretiredvet and testvet, I am 30% for CAD with bypass, and among the many meds. I currently take one is to control my blood pressure which is taken daily. The question arose when I saw in the 24 that you could get 10% for BP if you take medicine daily, but sense it is in the 7000 for CAd and 7100 for vascular I am not sure if it would be Pyrimiding?

• HadIt.com Elder

The regs state this and they make it plain.

Heart disease is to be rated separate from High Blood Pressure.

Now there is a catch. Your systolic has to be 160 or your diastolic has to be 100 to get 10 percent.

J

I get the 10% for high blood pressure as I was diagnosed with it in the military and was taking the blood pressure medication for it. It is not high enough(they keep me on enough medication to control the whole neighborhood) to get more.

And then I get 60 % for my heart as that is a separate issue.