VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo-Psychologist Or Psychiatrist

Rate this question

scscrewed

Question

Which is better for mental health IMO? I may never file for P and T, but I am going to start lining the ducks up, and, as such, I would like an IMO to make an accurate diagnosis of my service connected mental disorder, instead of the blanket adjustment disorder with depressed mood that has been placed upon me.

And, does anyone know of a good one in Southern Ohio? That doesn't cost a fortune.

• HadIt.com Elder

Which is better for mental health IMO? I may never file for P and T, but I am going to start lining the ducks up, and, as such, I would like an IMO to make an accurate diagnosis of my service connected mental disorder, instead of the blanket adjustment disorder with depressed mood that has been placed upon me.

And, does anyone know of a good one in Southern Ohio? That doesn't cost a fortune.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor first, and has an advanced degree in psychiatry. A psychologist is not a medical doctor, thou s/he may have a PhD. The VA does not discriminate against either/or. ~Wings

I didn't know if they weighted more towards the MD or if the gave equal billing to the PhD. I am going to go with whatever's cheaper. I don' t have much money, like everyone else, but I want to get a thorough review with the diagnosis I want --one that covers my insanity.

I think I'll go with the PhD, because they're cheaper.

• HadIt.com Elder

In my experience the VA respect the MD more than the Ph.D. In Florida they have to treat a clinical psychologist with the same weight as a psychiatrist, but I still think they give more weight to a MD. They gave more weight to a psychiatric attendant than to my board certified Ph.D. psychologist in my CUE claim. I was seen by a VA shrink for ten minutes and that was what they used to decide my old claim. They just ignored the full report from the psychologist who had seem me for 6 months once a week for an hour and a group therapy. I used a former VA psychiatrist for my TDIU P&T claim. That was a IME/IMO that hit all the bells. The VARO just ate it up. They just incorporated her report right into my decision. I guess it saved them from having to think. If you can find somebody who used to work for the VA in your area that is gold.

• HadIt.com Elder

I didn't know if they weighted more towards the MD or if the gave equal billing to the PhD. I am going to go with whatever's cheaper. I don' t have much money, like everyone else, but I want to get a thorough review with the diagnosis I want --one that covers my insanity.

I think I'll go with the PhD, because they're cheaper.

You can also use a licensed social worker! Just need someone who has a heart and a brain (must review medical evidence). Unless the claim is very complex, use whatever good, affordable resources are available. The VA seldom aks for an "expert" medical opinion on claims for mental disorders; the veteran is typically seen by many types of providers over the course of their illness. Look for a veteran-friendly provider! ~Wings

That's what I'll work on. I have the guy that saw me years ago, so maybe I could find him. The reality is I don't know when the crap will hit the fan and I will need to be ready for the new claim stuff. I am 100 percent but not P and T, but I am not scheduled for any future exams. So, who knows. Because, I just got out of prison I figured they could just drop a c and p on me to see everything is kosher or they may not.

I have chronic adjustment disorder with depressed mood as my service connected mental health disability, but I want it changed to dysthymic disorder with major depressive episodes. Who know's. I need to get everything together, so that can be done. And find out where the good doctor is now at.

I also have a social worker that may write something up for me.

I may have years before I need to do this. I may have months. I know the VA is very backlog, so I don't think it is happening anytime soon. We'll see.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your rating says no future exams scheduled then that is an indication you are P&T. Ask for vocational rehabilitation. Tell them you want to be a lawyer who sues the VA for malpractice.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use