VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Congressional Involvement In My Nod

Rate this question

davmart86

Question

So I submitted be NOD back in September of 2010 and notified my congressman at the same time.

Why did I do that? A friend of mine also received a low percentage rate, then contacted his representative and had his perecentage increased to 90%.

I have heard back various times from the office of my congressman stating they are following the case, but nothing has come of it yet! The last letter I received, said "expect another update from us in May 2012.

So it's already been over a year since my NOD. How long does it usually take? Is my congressional involvement slowing the process or helping it?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I've heard the same thing, that getting your Congressperson involved slows the process down.

BUT, having been a fed employee in the distant past, I can tell you it's because your claim lands on more desks in much nicer offices than it would otherwise. A "Congressional" is a real pain for a federal agency to deal with and it strikes fear into the hearts of management who have to get involved because they have to be part of the response process.

I would say that, assuming your case is sound, the slow-down is just going to add dollars to the retro you get, and you are likely to get a much more carefully developed rating. If your proof is good, your rating will show it. Good luck and try to relax!

Hello DAV..... I made the mistake years ago in getting my Congressmen and Senators involved in my claim. It was nothing but lots of paperwork , letters to Service Manager from representative , then followup letters to Congressmen and Senators from them. Then letters back to the Vet,,,,Me.. Nothing happened .....EXCEPT one thing. It slowed my claims process. They will pull your file to study it. They have to because now it has Congressional interest and priority to answer. But it cannot change the process and chain of command that the file has to endure to be reviewed and signed off on . That includes decisions.

Now I do want to say that yes there are a few.......FEW veterans that have had pressure brought on the VA to act and in those few .....FEW cases the pressure from the Congressional rep may have been enough to get the VA moving and adjudicate faster. However it is not the norm and had this been 20 years ago , I would have said it would be a better avenue for the Vet to take. But with 1.2 million claims backlogged( I am sure it is much more now) we are dealing with 7 to 8 times more claims than say 20 years ago and the VARO and Service Managers in those days were more .........hmmmmm lets say more friendly to the wishes of those Congressmen and Senators. Not now. Though I have not seen the number of Vets who have involved their Congressional Reps, I am sure it is very high. That would be another interesting survey here at Hadit . To see how many of our members have used or tried to use their Congressional Representatives. And did they get a noticeable favorable action or decision because of it.

If I was you and my claim was in the decision or appeals process at a VARO I would NOT contact my Rep.

However if you have exhausted your process and are in the CAVA or Federal court and not much more can be done......then I would consider a careful attack using the Congressional Reps office. At that point you have nothing to lose and may need all the help you can get. But as always NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.