VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Transfer Gi Bill

Rate this question

sfc ret

Question

Well I retired from active army October 2009 can I still transfer my GI bill kids? Or i had to do that while I was still serving? I see that it took effect to be able to transferring your benefits in august 2009.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

On eBenefits, under apply for Benefits, there is a link to "Transfer post 9-11 Education Benefits."

The link takes you to milconnect (or, I guess you could go directly to milConnect). In the "Education" drop down box, there is a link to "Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB)".

Have at it.

Well I retired from active army October 2009 can I still transfer my GI bill kids? Or i had to do that while I was still serving? I see that it took effect to be able to transferring your benefits in august 2009.

I tried do that and got some error. So I called the va gi bill number and they told me I cannot transfers it because I'm retired? So can I transfer it? How? Who should I call to help me if I can transfer my gi bill to my kids

Thanks

The criteria for transferring you educational benefits are: http://gibill.va.gov...f_benefits.html . Number 4 appears to be a biggy.

On another tack, you listed your hadit disability rating as 100% - has Chap 35/DEA been authorized?

I tried do that and got some error. So I called the va gi bill number and they told me I cannot transfers it because I'm retired? So can I transfer it? How? Who should I call to help me if I can transfer my gi bill to my kids

Thanks

Well I guess I can't do it. Thanks for the info.

Yes Chaprter 35/dea is authorized but I dont think the VA is going to let me stay at 100 percent and my kids are young.

Why do you say I dont think the VA is going to let me stay at 100 percent ? Generally speaking, award of Chap 35 (or SMC or SAH or automobile grant, etc.), pretty much states permanance of the condition and the condition is not subject to improvement.

I say generally because, with few exceptions, NO particular rating level is protected until 20 years at that level have passed.

Granting Chap 35 (or the other ancillary benefits) without a good likelihood of permanance just adds to a potential future workload. I mean, if the particular benefit had been used and the RVSR proposes to reduce the 100% and thus the ancillary benefit, recoupment becomes an issue. And, recoupment is hard to do and not always successful.

In any event, as you say your children are young, I'd still recommend saving for their college. Perhaps there is a 529 plan in your state that you can contribute to.

Well I guess I can't do it. Thanks for the info.

Yes Chaprter 35/dea is authorized but I dont think the VA is going to let me stay at 100 percent and my kids are young.