VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Survey How Many Hadit Members Have Used There Congress Or Senatorial Reps To Help In Their Claims

Rate this question

Capt.

Question

Hello All. In a previous post one of our members ask for opinions about whether to involve our Elected Officials , Congress, Senate Reps to help us in our claims battles with the VA.

I for one did that early on in my claims process. Now under appeal, my lawyer has advised to leave them alone for the time being.

My question to the members is how many here have used their Reps to help them in their claims and what degree of help and positive results happened. Yes its story time if you want to do that. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I wrote my congressman and it did little good. I got the VA Secretary's Email address somehow and that worked for me. If my lawyer says don't involved the congressman I would do what he/she says. You don't want to go against what your lawyer is trying to do.

My congressman became involved soon after I fell down the stairs. My initial medical treatment from the Navy was poor, and it caused some problems that everyone could have been prevented. He was able to get significant treatment at Bethesda authorized and things. And, because I was in service when the c and ps occurred we didn't have much trouble with the rating process. It came in wrong. Filed a NOD. And had a favorable rating in three months. The congressman knew about the whole process, but I don't know if he did anything other than the stuff in the Navy.

I think if the congressman's aide gets involved then it might be valuable, but other than that they don't give a crap. Unless they can get publicity out of it.

Years ago I wrote to my COngressman and two Senators about a problem I had with the VA and my husband's SSA records.The VA was denying his claim with out them ( SSA for PTSD)

Four months later I received the VA's reply to them all.

It said the SSA had refused to release his SSA records.

I called SSA in Baltimore and told them I would stay on hold until someone helped me.The main SSA in Baltimore is an enormous entity and I didnt think I would have any luck by phone.

But I did, a manager accessed my husband's file and said there was absolutely no request at all from the VA for these records. He sent them to the VA himself.

On another matter, I called my COngressman due to an incident at the Bath VA.The VAMC had just refused to admit my husband.

He was in a terrible state due to his PTSD.

Years ago I wrote to my COngressman and two Senators about a problem I had with the VA and my husband's SSA records.The VA was denying his claim with out them ( SSA for PTSD)

Four months later I received the VA's reply to them all.

It said the SSA was not considering the veteran's SSA records for his PTSD claim, because SSA had refused to release his SSA records to the VA.

I called SSA in Baltimore and told them I would stay on hold until someone helped me.The main SSA in Baltimore is an enormous entity and I didnt think I would have any luck by phone.

But I did and a manager accessed my husband's file and said there was absolutely never no request at all from the VA for these records and they were lying. He sent them to the VA himself.

On another matter, I called my COngressman due to an incident at the Bath VA.The VAMC had just refused to admit my husband.

He was in a terrible state due to his PTSD and was about to get on the VA day treatment van to come home, when the Bath VAMC director got the call from my Congressman, and I heard from other VA employees that the director and two VA shrinks ran all over the VAMC to find him. Rod heard the VA operator paging him so he got off the van.

He was admitted immediately.

Congressman/woman etc cannot adjudicate VA claims.They might be able to help with a problem similiar to mine with the SSA records but the VA lied to them anyhow.

The COngressional intervention on that added many months to that specific claim, awarded when I found what else the VA had not considered, sent them it, had a VA doctor support the evidence I sent in writing, and then the claim was immediatley awarded. The claim started when my husband was alive but became a posthumous award 6 years after he had filed it.

I haven't used them for a claim. Used A congressman's office to save my home from foreclosure. As that worked better than expected, I am quite confident a call regarding the VA compensation will work as well. It all depends if they are pro-military are not.