Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

I'm Lost! What Can I Do?

mike316atl

Question

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I have found it very useful so far. I have a few questions and I hope that they can be answered.

I was MEB from the Army in 11/2006 for undiagnosed consistent abdominal pain and nausea. I was awarded 0% from the Army with severance pay. Well this year, I had severe abdominal pain and was admitted into the VA hospital and I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

I was admitted a second time 2 months later for severe ulceration and inflammation in my ileum and was prescribed many meds to treat my condition.

Here is my question.....In the Army I went through many test to find out what was going on. I requested my medical records from the Army hospital and found out that the small-bowel follow-thru exam stated I had loss of normal mucosa and I "Possibly had Crohns disease".

I immediately filed a VA compensation claim for this condition. After my C%P exam (4 months ago) I requested a copy of the exam. The doctor stated "it is less than likely that my current diagnosis is related to in-service event".

I am really upset at these findings and I feel that the doc didn't look at my medical records thoroughly. What can I do???? Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

1. You can have an IMO refute the c and p, you should be able to find one that one will make the connection of "Possibly had Crohns disease" and the Crohns disease you have now, and maybe that you've had this entire time.

2/ You can have the VA doctor, if they will they don't have too I don't think, review your SMR and make the connection

3. You can write out a lay statement pointing out the Possibly had Crohns Disease portion of the SMR and the fact that you have Crohns disease now.

Work on these three things. Wait for the raters denial and file the NOD.

There may be some better options, and if there is somebody will post it for you.

Have you continued to have consistent abdominal pain and nausea since your discharge?

Edited by scscrewed

I have found most of the time the doctors do not review your medical history at the compensation exam. This was evidenced by another review of my c-file the other day when a form stated it had not been reviewed, and also my files were not requested. However, I did notice my medical file was sitting on the doctors desk-he just failed to look at it. It appears they are just either quite overbooked, or just plain lazy.

Now I happen to have a compensation exam next week. I will be bringing medical evidence from the VA to show the doctors that I had already been diganosed for this condition, and it had been improperly diagnosed the 1st time. Also all the labs.

A veteran should appear at the compensation exam with as much medical evidence as possible, as I highly doubt they will spend the time to look for it in your medical folder even if all your exams were done at the VA.

1. You can have an IMO refute the c and p, you should be able to find one that one will make the connection of "Possibly had Crohns disease" and the Crohns disease you have now, and maybe that you've had this entire time.

2/ You can have the VA doctor, if they will they don't have too I don't think, review your SMR and make the connection

3. You can write out a lay statement pointing out the Possibly had Crohns Disease portion of the SMR and the fact that you have Crohns disease now.

Work on these three things. Wait for the raters denial and file the NOD.

There may be some better options, and if there is somebody will post it for you.

Have you continued to have consistent abdominal pain and nausea since your discharge?

Yes, I have had the pain consistently but never enough to make a big deal about it. The pain used to come and go, but now its pretty much everyday. The medications are helping, but it still sucks. Thanks for the reply