VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

State Property Taxes

• HadIt.com Elder

Georgia and South Carolina both have free property taxes for up to one acre regardless of the price of the home and 2 free license plates for the auto's when the vet passes away the spouse still gets the free property taxes but loses the free license plates you have to see each state and what they offer they all set their own rules

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well testvet Georgia will only give you a break on the property taxes if you are 100% and only one tag. But you get free driver license for life. I know this as I live here in Georgia and applied and that is what I was told from the property and tag office.ALL WIDOWS get the propert t.ax break for one year after the death of there wife or husband. But they will not tell you this. I found this out thru the VFW I am a menber of.

I think all States should give each veteran a discount on their taxes to the vet disabillity.And as the vet % goes up the taxes goes down. JMHO :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

In Florida the spouse can keep the 100% exemption but she/he must be on the deed at time of death of the vet. You can't wait to have your new wife on the deed until they read the will. I paid for my house before I got married, but I broke down and added my wife to the deed, so she could get the exemption. What a guy! Now I have an official taster for all my food. I am worth more to her dead than alive. This is slightly creepy knowledge.

• 8 months later...

Papa, also from what I understand, a 100% rated veteran in Texas can also remove $12,000 off the taxable valuation of a second property if they own it. I myself only own one home and property. Well, me and the mortgage company do anyway, but for those who may have inherited or have some other situation whereby they own two pieces of land, they can get their homestead completely non-taxed, and a pretty good portion removed from another.

Not a bad deal. If anybody out there is in Texas, and eligible it is best to get in the system now. You never know when the state legislature may change their minds. If you are already in the system, you stand a much better chance for you and your spouse to be grandfathered in regardless of legislative changes. Now although this may not occur, the legislature has been known to make changes in law, but grandfathering in those who are already participating.

Mark

Edited by MarkInTexas