VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective Date As It Applies To Service Connection......

Rate this topic

alan

:( I am new to this board but from what I read I feel it can help me. on May 23rd, I had my BVA hearing. It will be soon that all the material will be in the hands of the BVA. I bought a book from the VA that speaks about appeals and service connection. In this book I found that the military, is suppose to notify the veteran in 90 days or more, the rights of the vet who is soon to be discgarged.

I did not find out about compensation and pension until 2000. I was discharged in Augues 1968. Doesn't the military have some responsibility to tell the VET about C+P ?

In the last 4 years of appeals with the VA I have found that they are not always forthcoming with certain information that would be helpful for the VET to know.

I need to find out what the level of responsibility belongs to the Military regarding the rights of service connection. I need to gather information from hard copy sources. Can anyone help me ? Thank you for taking the time to read this. God Bless

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Alan

I don't know what the law was in 1968. I never heard of any law for vets that says the military has to notify you about filing for possible disabilities 90 days after discharge. If there was such a law it would have to have been in effect in 1968 for it to help you. I believe the only way to go back to 1968 and change anything about your claim or retro would be to show clear, unmistakable error. I was discharged in 1971 and I don't even remember getting a discharge physical or mental exam of any sort. When did you first apply for VA disability compensation?

John

"I need to find out what the level of responsibility belongs to the Military regarding the rights of service connection. I need to gather information from hard copy sources. Can anyone help me ? Thank you for taking the time to read this. God Bless"

Today's military is different than what most of you vets went through. They had manadatory briefings with someone from the VA and AL when my kid was discharged 2 years ago and they stressed that all of them should get their SMRs before they left the service. My kid, knowing what her dad and many of you vets here and locally went through, sure had her SMRs in order. She said the briefings discussed service connection and that they were urged to file a claim for anything whatsoever that was attributable to their service.Then the VA guy passed out the VA benefit pamphlet and first tried to charge them each 5 bucks for it- but my kid got it for free- what we have been through with the VA-I could have written it myself.

She was USAF but went to the Navy briefing and said it was very good but of course No one tells a new vet what the VA is really like-she would have had to re-enlist again to have time to hear what it all really is like.

and of course no one tells a new vet what it is really like-

The info you said you need will not help you.

If you have a claim for service connection, it must be presumptive, or directly related to your service by a nexus. 1968- I assume you are Vietnam Era-or did you serve incountry and what is your claim for?

and most importantly why did they deny it?

Guest anfrnkie
:( I am new to this board but from what I read I feel it can help me. on May 23rd, I had my BVA hearing. It will be soon that all the material will be in the hands of the BVA. I bought a book from the VA that speaks about appeals and service connection. In this book I found that the military, is suppose to notify the veteran in 90 days or more, the rights of the vet who is soon to be discgarged.

I did not find out about compensation and pension until 2000. I was discharged in Augues 1968. Doesn't the military have some responsibility to tell the VET about C+P ?

In the last 4 years of appeals with the VA I have found that they are not always forthcoming with certain information that would be helpful for the VET to know.

I need to find out what the level of responsibility belongs to the Military regarding the rights of service connection. I need to gather information from hard copy sources. Can anyone help me ? Thank you for taking the time to read this. God Bless

dear allen, i am new to the this as well,john pete breta wings are very good and with their help pointed out information that i find very useful, however all claims are different,but i will tell you what i have done,and i must state most menbers,did disagree wihh me. to make this short i filed a claim, in 1978,va stated no records found, i never avswered ,because va stated all records were burnter in fire,with the help of a good person ,who works at va i got all my records in 2003,i have been in air force and navy, stater in records were papers giving me 100@ air force,va never told me ,navy 100% ptsd [that i get today]c and p, exam ,got me another 100%,again va never told me , all this was found in 2003, i have 56 appeals,on my issues,i have never sent anything to bva, i feel it is a mistake to ever let it out of va level,on each appeal i put cue,3;105a,this was the best move i made,va is working on my claim,see if you can get it back to va,and keep it there,look over your papers,if you find anything wrong appeal under 3;105 a today i am seeing my sentor,i called va yesterday,was informed va is working on my appeals,she also stated i would of done the same thing you did . i was happy to hear her say that i know i made the right move.

dear allen, i am new to the this as well,john pete breta wings are very good and with their help pointed out information that i find very useful, however all claims are different,but i will tell you what i have done,and i must state most menbers,did disagree wihh me. to make this short i filed a claim, in 1978,va stated no records found, i never avswered ,because va stated all records were burnter in fire,with the help of a good person ,who works at va i got all my records in 2003,i have been in air force and navy, stater in records were papers giving me 100@ air force,va never told me ,navy 100% ptsd [that i get today]c and p, exam ,got me another 100%,again va never told me , all this was found in 2003, i have 56 appeals,on my issues,i have never sent anything to bva, i feel it is a mistake to ever let it out of va level,on each appeal i put cue,3;105a,this was the best move i made,va is working on my claim,see if you can get it back to va,and keep it there,look over your papers,if you find anything wrong appeal under 3;105 a today i am seeing my sentor,i called va yesterday,was informed va is working on my appeals,she also stated i would of done the same thing you did . i was happy to hear her say that i know i made the right move.

I filed for retro but was denied. I am getting 70/30 but felt like the military did an injustice. Of course the VA says my issue is with the military not them and denied my claim for retro (67). I cannot remember exactly but they were suppose to notify exiting service members of the VA process I think starting in late 67 however they never notified me of anything. In fact, they did a "get the hell out of here, your damaged" type of thing with me. I feel like if I go any further with this, they could take away what I get now, so for the moment I am leaving it alone however if anyone ever wins a court case or a law is changed it is on record. Please advise us if you come up with anything and good luck.