VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Problem With Voc Rehab Counsleor

Rate this question

TCole70

Question

Been having an issue with my VRC concerning my monthly subsistence allowance for the past 5 months. I attended an eleven month online class and the allowance is based on the hours in-class AND a special time tracker made just for vets. The minimum hours I logged were over the required time allotted (IT Certs). Back in July the amount of the payments began to shrink. I called, went in and emailed my VRC and she gave a different excuse everytime. With my classes still going on, she cut me off completley. However, I am getting the approval letters from what my counselor swore doesn't come from her office, stating that I am getting the full amount for the month.

Can anyone point me in the rigth direction? How do I get this resolved and get retro for all the hours? I have completed the course successfully and have the time cards from the school. Who do I take this issue to? My VRC is the head counselor so I don't know who else I can go to.

Any help will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

TCole70

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"However, I am getting the approval letters from what my counselor swore doesn't come from her office, stating that I am getting the full amount for the month."

I assume this letter came from the VA Educational Department.

When I was Chap 35 student I copied off every VA check I got.

Do you have copies of those checks or a bank statement that could verify deposit amounts if you need it?

I would write to whoever sent you the letter as to the 'full amount' and enclose any proof of what you got if you have it.

Copies of the time cards wouod help too.

Or you could file a Service complaint via IRIS.

The letter you quoted says "full amount for the month."

They mean each month right? or did they mean just one month?

Have you also contacted the school's veteran's liason?

"However, I am getting the approval letters from what my counselor swore doesn't come from her office, stating that I am getting the full amount for the month."

I assume this letter came from the VA Educational Department.

Yes, the VRC said it came from DFAS (which is doubtful)

When I was Chap 35 student I copied off every VA check I got.

I don't get checks under Chap 31, you need Direct Deposit, but I have all of my deposit information from the bank and eBenifits

Do you have copies of those checks or a bank statement that could verify deposit amounts if you need it?

Yes

I would write to whoever sent you the letter as to the 'full amount' and enclose any proof of what you got if you have it.

The address is the same as where the VRC is located, unfortuanetly she is the head VRC.

Copies of the time cards wouod help too.

Or you could file a Service complaint via IRIS.

I just tried the OIG Hotline and they sent this response:

Dear Correspondent:

This is in response to the correspondence you sent to the VA’s Office of Inspector General (VA OIG) Hotline. The Office of Inspector General limits investigative efforts to those issues that represent the most serious potential risk to VA or for which OIG may be the only avenue of redress. After reviewing the situation described in your correspondence, we have determined that there are avenues available to you that can better address your concerns.

OIG does not get involved in complaints related to individual claims. We cannot change, reverse, or speed up decisions made on individual benefits claims by Veterans Benefits Administration officials. We cannot contest issues for you, resolve your disagreement regarding the evidence considered or overturn VA benefit decisions you received. Decisions on individual benefits claims are the responsibility of the Veterans Benefits Administration through VA regional offices across the country.

For questions or concerns related to your Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, call your local regional office toll free at 800-827-1000. You may also wish to contact 202-461-9600.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Neal

VA OIG Hotline

The letter you quoted says "full amount for the month."

They mean each month right? or did they mean just one month?

Yes each month that I was in training.

"Yes, the VRC said it came from DFAS (which is doubtful)"

DFAS????

That makes no sense at all to me.My husband was in Voc Rehab and it had nothing to do with DFAS.

I think you should go to the main VA web site:

http://www.va.gov/

Click on the "Contact Us" section and send them an inquery or a service complaint might be better.

The IG is right- they are checking a complaint I filed recently to see if it is under their jurisdiction.They have limits as to what they can look into.

The IRIS form takes some time to read over and they need some dates as to your service etc, -I always write my IRIS inqueries in Office org first and then copy and paste them into the IRIS form.

I found NOTHING at the main VA web site for anyone you could contact on this.

They do have the subsistence charts there.

It is a problem I sure have never seen before.

I was under a different VA educational program but I received correspondence from VA regarding any change at all that affected my Chap 35.

Maybe DFAS handles the GI Bill. ???? but you are Chapter 31.

A IRIS inquery might take a few days for response but hopefully that would clear this up.

This vet has a very knowledgable blog you can ask a question on

regarding VA Voc Rehab and other VA educational issues:

http://vabenefitblog.com/gi-bill-versus-voc-rehab-why-not-use-both/

I also wonder if your school's finance office got the payments screwed up. ????