VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Narcotic Pain Meds

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

John Basser

That's right. The VA wants to know if you are using your narcotic meds or selling them. I was going to private clinic in Florida and I had to take piss test as well. If your refill date falls near a VA holiday watch out buddy. I wrote the director about my not getting drugs on time. Things went well for a few months then most of the doctors in pain clinic rotated to other hospitals and it was back to usual routine. If my refill date is Jan 5, I might get drugs by certified mail on the 7th to the 14th. Of course, I take counter measures to be sure I don't run out. I don't abuse any drugs or alcohol so if they want to test that is OK. I make damn sure the drugs are in my system every time I go to the VA. The VA just assumes we are all substance abusers.

Tmoe

I have been told that fentanyl and oxycontin can only be used for cancer patients. That is just a damn lie. These drugs are more expensive that is all it is about. They can justify giving you methadone or morphine because it is cheap. Methadone is one of the most dangerous drugs and they dispense it all the time. I was told by pain management that I could not get cymbalta because of cost. Damn lie! I got it via my VA psychiatrist.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i get off the narcotic pain meds & just take the strongest non narcotic meds & VA sees this I'm taking just ibuprofen or what ever

that is not narcotic will VA count this as improvement to my health and try to reduce your pay ? I had a nerve stimulator implant &

its helps a lot with my pain don't need as much medicine as I once was. What are the withdrawal systems or what can happen if I quit

taking fentanyl. The stimulator was a good ideal just tired of the BS about the meds and in my personal business I always take my meds

& they know this. I will put a note in my medical records that va & private dr wont refill prescriptions so what am I suppose to do? give me

something else as long as it helps tired of the narcotic pills & in my business. Anyone

• HadIt.com Elder

If you want to get off narcotic meds I don't think it will hurt your rating. You tell them you want to withdraw from the narcotics medically. They need to help you to withdraw by either putting you in the hospital to kick it, or give you withdrawl schedule to follow. Tell them you want off the narcotics but you need to be medically supervised as you kick it. If it was me I would probably just continue to get the meds and take them if I need them. Throw away the excess safely. As long as you obey the rules it does show that you have big problem since you are not taking just tylenol. I don't like to close doors behind me. I like to keep all doors open. The VA is always going to be in your business if you get money from them. They can call you in for a c&p exam next week.

A family member was advised by a home health care worker about the best way to discard of medication that is outdated or not being used is to pour it into a bottle or can, add kitty litter or coffee grounds and shake. The medications dissolve and can be thrown in the regular garbage. I haven't tried this yet......anyone else here about this or another way to destroy old medications?