VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Get P&t

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

63 yr old male and two small children and out of work wife.

Have been 100% PTSD for 2 yrs. C&P scheduled in Feb 2012, then 2015.

How do I get to be P&T for the benefits for my kids.

Have always made my regular appointments with the va doctor and GAF always 50.

My condition has worsened if anything.

My question:

1:Should I and can I apply for P&t

2: On these C&P re-exams, which scare me to death, what are the chances of being reduced, which would push me over the edge as I can't be around people and can't work.

3: On my regular pysch doctor appointments he always wants me to try new medications and I politely refuse and I have be through them all, now on maximum Zoloft dosage. By not changing will the board take this as a negative or uncooperative attitude. The doctor allows me to continue Zoloft upon my request as it is the only thing I tell him work better than others. Symptoms same but tolerable.

Please Help!

God Bless

John

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

John1

If you were not worried about c%p exams you would not really be normal, but I don't think you have anything to worry about in this case. Just don't tell them you feel great and really want to get back to work. Don't arrive wearing a suit and tie and tell them everyone in you family worked until they were 95 and you want to keep up the tradition.

John999

Thanks so very much for your support.

God Bless

John

Called the C&P office today to confirm the appointment.

The lady stated not everyone will gets the "full exam "but only "will talk to you".

What does this mean if anything?

God Bless

John

Hey guys, just chiming in here.

Evandc, just so you know, sometimes you CAN be reduced when claiming either an increase, a P&T, or other ancillary benefits if the exam is done & they find your condition has improved. It may be BS, but unfortunately it's a real thing that can happen. This isn't to scare anyone, it's just a casualty of VA.

Re "The lady stated not everyone will gets the "full exam "but only "will talk to you"...I'm guessing that means that you, the rater, & any involved service orgs will get the exam but it will only be discussed with you? Not too clear on that.

Re exams: we are now doing DBQs (disability benefits questionnaires) for almost all conditions, PTSD included. It's a more simplified version of the interview process (at least on paper). The doc will ask if you have certain symptoms & they get input into our programs to produce an evaluation. I agree re not showing up in a suit & talking about wanting to work. Just discuss the impact your symptoms are having on your activities of daily living and how you feel they have worsened and you should be ok. You don't have a protected evaluation, which only happens after 20 yrs, but at the 5 & 10 yr marks, they can't reduce you based on one exam. A future exam must be scheduled to ascertain that there is indeed a level of improvement shown, and not just that you had a good day that day symptoms-wise.

We don't necessarily consider ppl P&T after age 55 because it's been shown that many ppl keep working past that age. However John1, between your age, SSDI & the consistent rating since 2006, I think you'll get it.

Hey guys, just chiming in here.

Evandc, just so you know, sometimes you CAN be reduced when claiming either an increase, a P&T, or other ancillary benefits if the exam is done & they find your condition has improved. It may be BS, but unfortunately it's a real thing that can happen. This isn't to scare anyone, it's just a casualty of VA.

Re "The lady stated not everyone will gets the "full exam "but only "will talk to you"...I'm guessing that means that you, the rater, & any involved service orgs will get the exam but it will only be discussed with you? Not too clear on that.

Re exams: we are now doing DBQs (disability benefits questionnaires) for almost all conditions, PTSD included. It's a more simplified version of the interview process (at least on paper). The doc will ask if you have certain symptoms & they get input into our programs to produce an evaluation. I agree re not showing up in a suit & talking about wanting to work. Just discuss the impact your symptoms are having on your activities of daily living and how you feel they have worsened and you should be ok. You don't have a protected evaluation, which only happens after 20 yrs, but at the 5 & 10 yr marks, they can't reduce you based on one exam. A future exam must be scheduled to ascertain that there is indeed a level of improvement shown, and not just that you had a good day that day symptoms-wise.

We don't necessarily consider ppl P&T after age 55 because it's been shown that many ppl keep working past that age. However John1, between your age, SSDI & the consistent rating since 2006, I think you'll get it.

Thanks so much.

What is "ppl"?

She meant I believe some vets get different depths of interviews!

God Bless

John1

My therapist and my family physician are both giving me letters to the fact PTSD has gotten worse and they feel it is a "permanent and total disabilty and can not return to the workplace"

My question is should I give a copy to the examiner next week at the C&P or just forward only to regional office as they requested. Do you send the "originals" or a copy".

God Bless

John1