VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Get P&t

Rate this question

JOHN1

Question

63 yr old male and two small children and out of work wife.

Have been 100% PTSD for 2 yrs. C&P scheduled in Feb 2012, then 2015.

How do I get to be P&T for the benefits for my kids.

Have always made my regular appointments with the va doctor and GAF always 50.

My condition has worsened if anything.

My question:

1:Should I and can I apply for P&t

2: On these C&P re-exams, which scare me to death, what are the chances of being reduced, which would push me over the edge as I can't be around people and can't work.

3: On my regular pysch doctor appointments he always wants me to try new medications and I politely refuse and I have be through them all, now on maximum Zoloft dosage. By not changing will the board take this as a negative or uncooperative attitude. The doctor allows me to continue Zoloft upon my request as it is the only thing I tell him work better than others. Symptoms same but tolerable.

Please Help!

God Bless

John

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

JOHN1 - I'd use the "statement in support of claim" form which I believe is form 21-4138, as it's a sworn statement and carries more weight. I'm not sure if you can apply on-line but most probably. I'd also send it USPS certified, return receipt requested.

pr

Guest terrysturgis

John1, if you are not working, you should apply for Social Security Disability (SSD). Being on SSD is also evidence that you should be P&T. Terry

I am still praying for the right answer to apply for P&T.

Called the VSO (local va rep) and he said "it's best to leave it alone, they may decrease your 100%". Not the response I wanted.

But the fact remains.

My condition has worsened, I'm 63 and to be 64 in a few months, I have 2 children at home 6 and 10 yrs old (yes they are my children, not grandchildren, which I have been blessed with) and my wife is unable to work.

I have been 100% PTSD since march 2009 and SSDI 100%. Still see my therapist on a regular basis.

Called the 1-800 # and they show C&P scheduled Jan2013 and Jan 2015.

Any further support or help to make this decision would be a blessing

My thinking is I should apply before I get a letter for the upcoming C&P or should I wait.

Please help.

God Bless

John

• HadIt.com Elder

Eleven years ago the answer to my prayer was "you know what to do, do it." JMHO you can't go around worrying they will cut you. IN your situation it's not that likely that will happen. You have much to gain for you & family with P & T. Of course, it is up to you, I think it's full speed ahead & don't look back. Someone at VA or even some VSO telling you they may cut you is in my Humble Opinion BS. This ain't my first rodeo & you need to do what's best for you.

Good luck,

Don Evans

100% (70% PTSD, 30% TDIU) P & T + "S" SMC & "K" SMC

20% Residual of Prostate Cancer

60% IHD

63 yr old male and two small children and out of work wife.

Have been 100% PTSD for 2 yrs. C&P scheduled in Feb 2012, then 2015.

John

JOHN1,

Please update your profile here to show your current level of SC.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

JOHN1 - you've been told to apply and haven't. If you wait until the first of the year you will have lost another month of award, when they award P&T. We can lead a horse to water but it's up to him if he'll drown. Apply today!!!!!!! My last comment on this topic.

pr

I am still praying for the right answer to apply for P&T.

Called the VSO (local va rep) and he said "it's best to leave it alone, they may decrease your 100%". Not the response I wanted.

But the fact remains.

My condition has worsened, I'm 63 and to be 64 in a few months, I have 2 children at home 6 and 10 yrs old (yes they are my children, not grandchildren, which I have been blessed with) and my wife is unable to work.

I have been 100% PTSD since march 2009 and SSDI 100%. Still see my therapist on a regular basis.

Called the 1-800 # and they show C&P scheduled Jan2013 and Jan 2015.

Any further support or help to make this decision would be a blessing

My thinking is I should apply before I get a letter for the upcoming C&P or should I wait.

Please help.

God Bless

John