VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd Hearing

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

Taking the advice from the people on this site and applying for SSD back in June 2010 for PTSD, got denied and i appealed. I now have a hearing at the end of February. Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me? I have most of my ecidence in, i will be getting a letter from my psychologist and psychiatrist before i go to the hearing, so that is more evidence i will have for my case. I also have a SSD lawyer that will be going along with me as well.

Right now i'm 40% SC, 0% hearing loss, 10% tinnitus, and 30% PTSD with the VA, but have an appeal in for that. I'm young, at 26 years old, and haven't worked since 07 due to my service connection, dealing with it day to day sucks. My psychologist told me to write down how i think PTSD affects my work, relationships, and daily life and he'd write me a letter, will the letter need a GAF score in it or does SSD use that? All my evidence is coming from my VA file that they have already, i just have a bit more to add with these letters. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was approved for SSD based on my service connected issues. Applied for TDIU, still waiting. I would recommend you try to continue looking for things to help you with your symptoms. I wish you the best but I feel you will face a hard time being awarded SSD with 40 percent. Please continue to seek advise and take care of yourself..

The real strike against you is your age. SSA seriously tries to avoid granting SSDI to someone of your age. It's not law, just administrative practice.

The more evidence in your favor, the better. SSA may call for an additional exam by a doctor they designate before it's all said and done.

The standards for what is considering your ability to adjust to other work changes with age. The categories are Younger Person (under 50), Person closely approaching advanced age (50 - 54), and Person of Advanced Age (55 and older). HERE

Well, i got another Dr letter and my attorney sent me a couple sheets for a Mental Eval for my Dr to fill out. Plus i have another 135 pages of mental health notes. All to add to my claim. It's on Feb 27, my attorney was saying she might push it back another month to get more info, but that's what she was talking about and that's all i have to add to my claim so we'll see what happens i guess.

• HadIt.com Elder

"The standards for what is considering your ability to adjust to other work changes with age. "

That they do! The real problem is that they cause a "mind set" against younger claimants.

The rules and practices are very subjective in this area.

In some cases, it's better if you are older (62+) to apply for early SS, and simultaneously also apply for SSDI.

This basically shows SSA that you will no longer be working, and the reason is related to/contained in the SSDI claim.

Without this option, a younger person is at a disadvantage in that the system tends to work against them.

Even if you are older, when you were working at an "unskilled job", SSA might deny, and say that you can still preform other "similar"

jobs.

The advice I was given was to look at the SSA requirements in detail, especially those addressed in the questionnaire, and how they might best be answered.

It was actually somewhat amusing when I answered the questionnaire, because the positions I filled involved multi-discipline highly skilled technical fields, along with physical agility.

One of the questions had to do with climbing ladders and stairs. The answer was yes, and that the ones of most concern involved large military aircraft.

Your ssa attorney should have already had you have your doctors fill out the RFC forms. These forms when filled out in your favor WILL make or break your case. I believe this may be the reason she wants to postpone your hearing. getting a hearing postponed is really not a good idea if u can avoid it by getting those done before the hearing DO IT. Attorney's beleve it or not DO NOT have any sayso over hearings. You will be denied again.Also google SSA GRID RULES and this should give you a good idea how they measure disability/vocational/age etc. Good Luck and you will win with a good since at how ssa looks at things.

Your ssa attorney should have already had you have your doctors fill out the RFC forms. These forms when filled out in your favor WILL make or break your case. I believe this may be the reason she wants to postpone your hearing. getting a hearing postponed is really not a good idea if u can avoid it by getting those done before the hearing DO IT. Attorney's beleve it or not DO NOT have any sayso over hearings. You will be denied again.Also google SSA GRID RULES and this should give you a good idea how they measure disability/vocational/age etc. Good Luck and you will win with a good since at how ssa looks at things.

That's what i meant to say, the letter and RFC forms have been in my attorney's hands for about a month now. I just recently sent the 135 pages of medical notes. I'm going to google the grid rules now. Thanks for the input!