VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sending Hubby For Tbi Testing

Rate this question

Deltawife

Question

Hello,

I haven't been on the Hadit site in quite a while because we've been playing the waiting game. My husband sent in a claim for an Increase for PTSD after our neighbor was shot and killed in May of 2010. He finally called the VARO today and was told they are sending him for TBI testing and another test on his hearing. (He already received hearing aids about a year ago, but no compensation)

Since he did NOT apply for TBI, does this mean they are FINALLY actually looking at his records and the fact that he was shot down 3 times? He is a Viet Nam Veteran and was in Special Forces. He's never been compensated for his wounds. He has shrapnel in his bones, but the Ortho doc said "it shouldn't hurt because it's in the bone". IMHO I'm thinking they are really honestly looking at his records.

Should we NOT get our hopes up, or does it sound like they are doing something.

Thank you so much.

Blessings and Happy Holidays

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There is information here as to scar ratings that he should look into and claim the schrapnel scars ,if they fall into a ratable category) as well as any residuals from the schrapnel.

The Schedule of Ratings, under the Diagnostic Code link to the right has the scar info as to ratings.

"He has shrapnel in his bones, but the Ortho doc said "it shouldn't hurt because it's in the bone". What about any muscular invovlement ???

"IMHO I'm thinking they are really honestly looking at his records."

It is good that he is getting TBI testing but unusual since he didn't apply for TBI comp. ???

I learned not to depend too much on what the VA says when they call or respond to an IRIS.

Berta,

I thought it was unusual too, since he didn't apply. His first award was given from an advocates office and based on interviews with Gary back in 2001 (after 9/11), and ONLY Interviews. He did not actually see anyone at the VA at all until the advocates put the PTSD and tinnitus claim in for him. Now he goes regularly to see his PCP and Psychiatrist.

He did have an IMO and she did say he was "unemployable". I think maybe they gave him his first rating by glancing and verifying that he was in Special Forces, did two tours, and had purple hearts.....period.

You would NOT believe (yes you would) the BS he has gone through in the last 10 years with his reps. He did NOT even know that he could apply for an increase or anything! He would come home so frustrated (as well as many others I'm sure). I started going with him, doing research on this wonderful site and have learned so much. NOT enough, but enough to understand a little bit more than he does. He just about "shuts down" when it comes to dealing with all of this. One of his reps put in that he had Prostate Cancer and Diabetes JUST to get their attention.....he does not have those (thank GOD). I wrote a long SOC and it appears that they have really paid attention to it and are treating what I put on there as a claim.

Thank you so much to ALL of you for your help!

There is information here as to scar ratings that he should look into and claim the schrapnel scars ,if they fall into a ratable category) as well as any residuals from the schrapnel.

The Schedule of Ratings, under the Diagnostic Code link to the right has the scar info as to ratings.

"He has shrapnel in his bones, but the Ortho doc said "it shouldn't hurt because it's in the bone". What about any muscular invovlement ???

"IMHO I'm thinking they are really honestly looking at his records."

It is good that he is getting TBI testing but unusual since he didn't apply for TBI comp. ???

I learned not to depend too much on what the VA says when they call or respond to an IRIS.

Berta, he called the VARO directly to see where his claim stood, because it's been 16 months since he applied. We are not set up on IRIS or eBenefits because you have to be enrolled in DEERS first....and we cannot get them on the phone to enroll him nor do we have the money to make a 5 hr drive to the VARO.

Berta, he called the VARO directly to see where his claim stood, because it's been 16 months since he applied. We are not set up on IRIS or eBenefits because you have to be enrolled in DEERS first....and we cannot get them on the phone to enroll him nor do we have the money to make a 5 hr drive to the VARO.

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal?_nfpb=true&_nfxr=false&_pageLabel=RegistrationOverview

What to do if I am a...

• Veteran with a MyHealtheVet Account
    • Veteran who's a DoD Employee or Contractor
      • Veteran other than above
        • Option 1: Get Premium Access over the Phone by Verifying your Direct Deposit Award Payments.
        • Step 1: Have the following items on-hand:
          • the account number for your direct deposit payments
          • the exact dollar amount of the most recent transaction

[*]Step 2: Call 1-800-827-1000 between Monday and Friday, 7AM to 7PM

Step 3: Answer the challenge questions to confirm your identity with authorized National Call Center (NCC) personnel who will request your DS Logon

Step 4: Receive your DS Logon activation code via US mail in 7-12 business days

Step 5: Go to the DoD Self-Service Access Center and select Activate a DS Logon

Step 6: Follow the instructions on-screen to activate

Step 7: Record your username and password. Then, return to eBenefits and click Log in

For additional information, check out the FAQs regarding remote proofing over the phone.[*]

[*]Option 2: Get a Basic Account instantly, then upgrade to a Premium DS Logon in person at a TRICARE Service Center (TSC).[*]You can get a Premium Account immediately if you first register for a Basic Account online then visit a TRICARE Service Center.

To find your nearest facility, use the Service Center Locator in your region:

• North Region Service Center Locator or call 1-877-874-2273
          • South Region Service Center Locator or call 1-800-444-5445
          • West Region Service Center Locator
          • Use the TRICARE Region Map to find your TRICARE region.
          • You will need take the following items with you:
            • One primary form of government identification (with a photograph) and a secondary form of identification (with or without photograph).
            • Proof of your current mailing address, if your ID is not current (acceptable items include a mortgage voucher, rent voucher, or utility bill).
            • Original DD-214 (if separated before 1982).
            • You can also go in person to request a Premium Account without first getting a Basic Account, but you will have to wait 7-12 business days to receive your DS Logon activation code via the US mail.