VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sending Hubby For Tbi Testing

Rate this question

Deltawife

Question

Hello,

I haven't been on the Hadit site in quite a while because we've been playing the waiting game. My husband sent in a claim for an Increase for PTSD after our neighbor was shot and killed in May of 2010. He finally called the VARO today and was told they are sending him for TBI testing and another test on his hearing. (He already received hearing aids about a year ago, but no compensation)

Since he did NOT apply for TBI, does this mean they are FINALLY actually looking at his records and the fact that he was shot down 3 times? He is a Viet Nam Veteran and was in Special Forces. He's never been compensated for his wounds. He has shrapnel in his bones, but the Ortho doc said "it shouldn't hurt because it's in the bone". IMHO I'm thinking they are really honestly looking at his records.

Should we NOT get our hopes up, or does it sound like they are doing something.

Thank you so much.

Blessings and Happy Holidays

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We did the "over the phone" option. It kept saying they were backlogged with calls and to leave our name and number and they would call us back....at a scheduled time. They never called. Every time I've tried to enroll in ebenefits...I get a message the we must be enrolled in DEERS. I've tried it all! I did get through to one of these options that said they were mailing a code in the regular mail.

I've been all over the VA site for two days. LOL

https://www.ebenefit...trationOverview

What to do if I am a...

• Veteran with a MyHealtheVet Account
    • Veteran who's a DoD Employee or Contractor
      • Veteran other than above
        • Option 1: Get Premium Access over the Phone by Verifying your Direct Deposit Award Payments.
        • Step 1: Have the following items on-hand:
          • the account number for your direct deposit payments
          • the exact dollar amount of the most recent transaction

[*]Step 2: Call 1-800-827-1000 between Monday and Friday, 7AM to 7PM

Step 3: Answer the challenge questions to confirm your identity with authorized National Call Center (NCC) personnel who will request your DS Logon

Step 4: Receive your DS Logon activation code via US mail in 7-12 business days

Step 5: Go to the DoD Self-Service Access Center and select Activate a DS Logon

Step 6: Follow the instructions on-screen to activate

Step 7: Record your username and password. Then, return to eBenefits and click Log in

For additional information, check out the FAQs regarding remote proofing over the phone.[*]

[*]Option 2: Get a Basic Account instantly, then upgrade to a Premium DS Logon in person at a TRICARE Service Center (TSC).[*]You can get a Premium Account immediately if you first register for a Basic Account online then visit a TRICARE Service Center.

To find your nearest facility, use the Service Center Locator in your region:

[*]North Region Service Center Locator or call 1-877-874-2273[*]South Region Service Center Locator or call 1-800-444-5445[*]West Region Service Center Locator[*]Use the TRICARE Region Map to find your TRICARE region.

[*][*]You will need take the following items with you:

[*]One primary form of government identification (with a photograph) and a secondary form of identification (with or without photograph).[*]Proof of your current mailing address, if your ID is not current (acceptable items include a mortgage voucher, rent voucher, or utility bill).[*]Original DD-214 (if separated before 1982).

[*][*]You can also go in person to request a Premium Account without first getting a Basic Account, but you will have to wait 7-12 business days to receive your DS Logon activation code via the US mail.

Update...

Hubby called the VARO Friday. He was told on a prior conversation that he was taken out of the rating system to be sent for TBI testing and a hearing test and that we should be getting a letter in the mail for his appointments. He called because a letter never arrived. The woman he spoke to this time said that they had decided he did not need further testing after all. She was sending an email to whomever had his file and would send me an email when she found out. We are so perplexed! It's been 17 months now. She was very nice and could not understand why it had been that long.

So, here we are STILL WAITING! Does this sound normal for the VA system?

deltawife,

If I understand right - currently you hubby gets 50% PTSD and 10 % Tinnitus.

Currently he has in a request for increase in his PTSD symptomology.

Is this correct ?

If yes - does he have medical evidence that supports an evaluation percentage

higher than the current 50 % - per the rating criteria in 38 CFR - Part 4 ?

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=492c33fd391fb59e96585abd76799b54&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5.2.111.73&idno=38

Carlie, Thank you for your reply and Yes you are correct about his percentages.

Gary has MOST of the symptoms in the 70 percentile, but not all of them. The VA sent him to an outside IMO and she ranked him as a GAF score of 50 for PTSD, but also put down that he was unemployable.

He is on medications for anxiety and depression. He's been going to the VA for 11 years, and we were NEVER told that we had to put in a claim for an increase by his VSO. The whole time he's been going there, he thought the Doctors were sending in the information for him. I am so appalled that all this time he was so ill informed with the system. (Sorry, I got off the subject there)

How would one prove that he has those other symptoms....his psych doctor WILL NOT write anything for him. He just doles out the pills. At this time we absolutely cannot afford to get him to an outside psych, because Gary has been unable to work at all.

Thank you so much!

Carlie, Thank you for your reply and Yes you are correct about his percentages.

Gary has MOST of the symptoms in the 70 percentile, but not all of them. The VA sent him to an outside IMO and she ranked him as a GAF score of 50 for PTSD, but also put down that he was unemployable.

Was this IMO for a C&P exam in relationship to the request for increase?

Were you able to get a copy of the exam - also, did this IMO supply medical rationale supporting the opinion

that he is "unemployable" - if yes, exactly what does it state ?

He is on medications for anxiety and depression. He's been going to the VA for 11 years,

Have you gotten copies of say his last 6-12 months of treatment / progress notes ?

If yes, do these show symptomology that supports an evaluation higher than 50 % ?

and we were NEVER told that we had to put in a claim for an increase by his VSO. The whole time he's been going there, he thought the Doctors were sending in the information for him. I am so appalled that all this time he was so ill informed with the system. (Sorry, I got off the subject there)

Bottom line is all claimants are ultimately responsible for their claim issues - even if they have representation.

If there is no open claim issue and the claimant has not advised the VBA that there is medical evidence of record

to be obtained - there would be no reason for VBA / VARO to try to get the records and no reason for any doctor to send

records to the VARO. If all the doctors at all the VAMC's just sent in all patients medical records / evidence to the VARO's

what a huge mess that would be.

How would one prove that he has those other symptoms....his psych doctor WILL NOT write anything for him.

Go to the VAMC - Release of Information and request copies of his treatment / progress notes for say the past

12 months. Hopefully there is medical evidence in there that supports a higher evaluation.

He just doles out the pills. At this time we absolutely cannot afford to get him to an outside psych,

because Gary has been unable to work at all.

Hopefully - this has been stated and supported in the records.

carlie

Carlie,

I have been meaning to get back to you on the questions you had asked. I have had some pain issues and on medication couldn't concentrate enough to get all of the info you asked for together. (Had a minor surgery and came out with a torn rotator cuff tendon, herniated disc, and severed nerve)

We still haven't heard anything. Today hubby got a hold of his VSO in Oakland where the VARO is. He went to the VARO and found out that my hubbies file is sitting in the Sacramento office. They had put on it that he missed 2 appointments.....and HE HASN'T had ANY appointments at all. Service Rep said they probably screwed up and were covering their arses!

We are so upset....his case has been in the system since Aug 2010. I think he has a CUE. What they have done to him and many others is deplorable!

NOW they say they are setting up more appts, but we don't know for what!

Spitting nails....not fingernails REAL Nails.

If you have a fax machine, I would love to fax his info to you. I sent it via scanned email a long time ago, but you were having trouble bringing it up. I know you have your hands full too.

Thank you so much

Patti