VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Awarded Me Bilateral Hearing Loss Today

Rate this question

les

Question

After 7 year struggle bva awarded me bi latteral hearing loss. Now I have to wait for rateing from Philly i guess, I cant figure the numbers in roman numerals for the rateing so I am loss as to what if any besides the 0% wich is great start. Or do they now give 10% just for being awarded? Thanks all

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That 0% just for being awarded is not automatic. For some folks, who say that they have "10% for hearing", they really mean that they either have: 0% for hearing and 10% for tinnitus; or, 10% for tinnitus and hearing loss is not service-connected.

To determine what your evaluation might be .....

First, you separately determine the puretone threshold average for each ear. The puretone threshold average is the averaged decibel loss at 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000Hz. 38 CFR 4.85(d) http://www.benefits....PART4/S4_85.DOC

Then, for each ear, cross the puretone threshold average against the percent of discrimination in Table VI. You now have a magic Roman numeral for each ear.

With these magic Roman numerals, go to Table VII and plug in the numbers.

Tada!

After 7 year struggle bva awarded me bi latteral hearing loss. Now I have to wait for rateing from Philly i guess, I cant figure the numbers in roman numerals for the rateing so I am loss as to what if any besides the 0% wich is great start. Or do they now give 10% just for being awarded? Thanks all

Edited by jvretiredvet

Hi, I tried to to the roman numeral thing for 4 frequency average and the speech recognition scores and I just cannot figure if I got a rateable outcome. If anyone will figure this out for me thank you much!! My 4 frequency average in right ear equals 43 db, my 4 frequency average for my left ear equals 49db. My speech recognition scores for my right ear is 92% in my right ear, and in my left ear it is 90%. Please help.

Well, everything is rateable - but you may not like the evaluation.

Based on the numbers you provided:

Right ear, 43dB and 92% -> I (Roman numeral I, Table VI)

Left ear, 49dB, 90% -> II (Roman numeral II, able VI

Per table VII, that equates to a 0% evaluation. Prolly not what you wanted to hear.

Do you have tinnitus, or ringing in the ears?

Hi, I tried to to the roman numeral thing for 4 frequency average and the speech recognition scores and I just cannot figure if I got a rateable outcome. If anyone will figure this out for me thank you much!! My 4 frequency average in right ear equals 43 db, my 4 frequency average for my left ear equals 49db. My speech recognition scores for my right ear is 92% in my right ear, and in my left ear it is 90%. Please help.

I got rated 10% for tinitis 2 years ago. As you said it will be 0% evaluation and that doesent surprise me. At least the bva granted me service conection for the hearing loss. Thanks for helping!! Les Liskey

Hearing loss is paid at 10% no matter how profound the loss, I'm totally deaf on one side and cant hear out the other and I get paid at the 10% rate, but even if you are rated at 0% put in for tinnitus because it's now a presumed condition. Hey jvretiredvet pain in the a** to read them tables huh?

Hearing loss is paid at 10% no matter how profound the loss,

I'm totally deaf on one side and cant hear out the other and I get paid at the 10% rate,

but even if you are rated at 0% put in for tinnitus because it's now a presumed condition.

Hey jvretiredvet pain in the a** to read them tables huh?

Boxer,

I don't know where you're getting your information but it is NOT CORRECT.

FOR CORRECTION :

Hearing loss can be evaluated at up to 100 percent.

Tinnitus does not fall under Presumptive Conditions.