VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Feel Bad

Rate this question

oddairman

Question

Should I feel bad about getting discounts and applying forprograms?

I’m in my earlier 30’s and if you look at me you may notthink that I have a disability. I am a mom of 2 and I am now rated at 60% andeven when my payments start coming. Funds will still be very tight and we needall the monies we can get. I see that I may be entitled to discounts very similarto seniors or people that have visible physical disabilities. Should I feel badfor taken them?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Absolutely NOT ! never feel bad, ever ...... as many have said, you have earned these benefits and pfff---tttt to those who scoff, ignore them.

Once, we were parked in a disabled spot with a placard on the rear-view mirror. We had our bicycles loaded on the bike rack on the bumper of our car. We got out of the car and started to walk into a restaurant when an elderly lady parked next to us in a disabled spot exited her vehicle ( and was ignorant for a moment, until I educated her ) .... scoffed at us, saying loudly "Pfff...tttt, how can a handicapped person ride a bike ...?" Ah, I politely told her " The only handicap was hers in assuming a disabled person could not ride a bike" ..... my dearest can barely walk but enjoys a bike ride on flat ground, even if it's only for 15 minutes, it's his joy.

When we went to pay our bill we found out it had been picked up by the same elderly lady.

These are your benefits....the only reason to feel bad is if you don't use them. Please, please do....

(((( hugs ))))

Edited by VetsLady

Never feel bad for getting what you deserve, I pulled into a handicap spot and this Policeman comes up to me and asked me for my license and Registration,

I asked him why what did I do wrong, He said your not Handicapped, I asked him What does a Handicapped person suppose to look like to you, He was so

Ignorant and said someone in a wheel chair, I had to educate him on Handicap People, It's not all looks, I have 50% of a Heart left, Take 14 pills a day and can

only walk 100 feet if I'm lucky. I told him when I'm ready for a Wheel Chair I'll make sure I call him so he could push me around then! Take advantage of what you

can for you and your children, Merry Christmas, God Bless and Thank You for Serving.

NJ

I will admit that I get aggravated when there's no handicap parking spots left and people that perceive as disabled come jump in their vehicles and take off. The reason I get aggravated is there are a lot of people that take advantage of the handicap parking spots that aren't handicapped. One may ask how do you get a handicapped placard if you're not disabled? Same way you get anything you ask the doctor and take the shot.

I know that I've went in behind people at Walmart who took the handicap van access parking spot and mom got stuck doing the take-up-two-parking-places-because-you-can't-assemble-the-wheelchair-routine if a car's beside you only to watch them walk around for an hour and leave with no apparent anything. I actually think that each major parking lot --not little places-- should have to have a designated wheelchair reserved parking place.

I know at the VA every single handicap parking spot is filled up, and for awhile we were parking a good football field away; however, the VA designated spinal cord injury parking, and I am allowed to park there.

That's just my two cents about handicap parking spots. Not saying anyone here takes advantage of the parking, but everyone here knows there are people that do.

• Founder

No do not feel bad. You've paid for it with your sacrifice, you put your kids and yourself first and worrying about what other people think way down at the bottom of the list of the stuff you need to get through everyday, they just ain't that important. You are important, your kids are important, having the best quality of life you can is important. Be proud and know we are proud of you and find every discount you can and use it thoroughly.

I know that I've went in behind people at Walmart who took the handicap van access parking spot and

mom got stuck doing the take-up-two-parking-places-because-you-can't-assemble-the-wheelchair-routine

if a car's beside you only to watch them walk around for an hour and leave with no apparent anything.

I actually think that each major parking lot --not little places-- should have to have a designated wheelchair reserved parking place.

Ditto on the above