VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

53 Years After Vet's Death-Dic

Berta

Question

http://www.tampabay.com/news/military/veterans/st-petersburg-woman-solves-mystery-of-dads-1958-death/1207773

This story and an award to the widow from VA is a testament to the fact that Nothing is impossible regarding VA claims.

Almost 53 years after her husband's death, the widow with her daughter's help, filed for DIC. The retro was based on the date of the January 2010 claim.

The daughter did considerable research as well as access old papers her father had saved.

She contacted an expert in the field as well.

The widow's DIC award letter came this past Friday.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

May the daughter and mother rejoice in this award. Years passed and the daughter was able to help her mother, through her fathers military service. The VA got this old claim right!(Even though recently filed) Hope they can enjoy some comfort in this award.

Spouses of deceased veterans often have disabilities that might prevent them from pursuing their own VA claims.

It can certainly help if their are adult children who can get involved with a surviving spouse's VA claim such as this one.

I discussed DIC claims with an advocate the other day.We realised if a surviving spouse is not computer literate and cannot come here to hadit (which has the most concise DIC info of all the vet web sites-in my opinion ) they are forced into getting a Vet rep or NSO who might know very little about DIC.

I know a claim like the one I posted would have been deemed as 'impossible' by the reps I had and I even wonder if the spouse had ever tried to file a DIC claim in the past and was completely discouraged by a vet rep.

DIC can become a complex matter and many spouses need to read the DIC regulations enclosed with their SOCs if they do get a denial and hopefully have a family member willing to help them sort through the VA mumbo jumbo if they can't use a PC.

Veterans with Life Insurance policies should suggest their survivor hold onto some of that money ,after they die,in the event they might need a costly IMO as well for DIC or accrued benefits.or both.

If a surviving spouse does not fall into any of the criteria that could award DIC, they will need a very strong IMO but they have to realize as well that some deaths can not be service connected at all and an IMO would not even be helpful.

I hope everyone here has a death file-we discussed that before ,they can put the blank DIC app right into the file

and make sure the spouse as the password they need to get onto hadit.